How to fully drain the livewell?

Banana River View

Reaction score
Are you saying there are a couple of inches above the drain? Mine usually has some water but it is due to the tilt of the boat and the water can not get to the drain.

If you have water above the drain then this is not normal. I would check the hose that drains the live well to ensure it does not have a loop in it that is higher than the drain in the live well. Also check to be sure the overboard drain is lower than the drain in the live well... BRV

gregsnow

Reaction score
Website
www.NauticalHeadquarters.com
Banana River View said:
Sounds like it. Water will seek its own level and will not flow up hill. You say it is a new boat so your dealer will take care of it I am sure...BRV

My GW dealer will fix it. Thanks for the second opinion..

GS

jaydub

Reaction score
Gregsnow, here is what I have found with my 222 livewell. If I pull the plug when the well is full and shut of the pump, the well will drain almost completely; just a little residual water in the bottom and not enough to cover the bottom. HOWEVER, if after it drains and I rinse it out with a freshwater hose which I usually do, a couple of inches of water will not drain out. What I do, is add enough water to get to about 3 inches or so above the drain, then the head pressure seems to start the siphon effect and it will drain completely. I just keep the hose running until water starts running out of the port side drain.

Also, if your livewell pump valve is open and you run the boat, you will get water in the livewell even though you don't have the pump turned on. Again, you might not have enough water in the well for it to drain, so try running the hose in it to get the water level up some. Or just turn on the pump and let it fill up a bit more.

You may also want to check your drain for obstructions too. I have had baitfish scales clog up mine and I've had to take a hose and force water through the drain to clear it.

Hope that makes sense and maybe it will help.

gregsnow

Reaction score
Website
www.NauticalHeadquarters.com
U-da man Jaydub, I will try you're technique next time. My boat is too new to have fish scales clogging it up! There's a fix for everything though, thanks n happy boating.

GS