How to permanently mount Edson Steering knob?

double2trouble

Reaction score
I've tried to mount the Edson Powerknob using the supplied straps to the wheel, but can not get either (of 2 supplied) strap to cling tightly enough to prevent twisting the knob off center. I've tightened and retightened, but soon after, the knob twists off center.

I've noticed that on the back of the Grady wheel, 1 of the 3 spokes has a cast lug behind the flat portion of spoke. Seems to me that this cast "lug" must be there to provide surface area to mount the Powerknob. Has anyone drilled thru the chromed spoke to permanently bolt a powerknob? If so - did you drill and tap threads, or drill straight through and put a nut on the end of the mounting bolt? Looking for suggestions. Seems to me that drilling through a chrome plated SS wheel may be high risk. Thanks.

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just cut some garden hose to act as a spacer, will also protect the wheel from being scratched. Did not want to drill. Drilling into stainless is unlike other materials.

Stonewall

Reaction score
I had the same problem with mine. I used a couple wraps of Rigging Tape and it has held in place for the last 2 years. Don't try to drill the steering wheel.

Fishtales

Reaction score
A more expensive option is to buy one with the knob installed. Schmidt (the manufacturer on GWs) sells this as an option. You can sell yours on ebay to absorb some of the cost. I did this with my last one and got $50 for the Schmidt spoke wheel.

yankeecause

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Steering knob

Here is a good tip if you do want to drill stainless steel. Use regular old vinegar as a lubricant, it works great! I don't know why. Joe