How to remove stains on Starboard

Norcoastal

Reaction score
I just picked up some GW ladder back chairs and the starboard is very stained. I’ve read where you can use soft scrub with bleach, but I’m concerned about the starboard because it’s the Grady beige not white.

Any suggestions?

I tried to load some pictures but it always says that the file is too large

Fishtales

Reaction score
Try baking soda and white vinegar. Make a paste and let it sit on the stain.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Bleach won't hurt it. The whole thing is "beige" - it's not like it's a dyed piece of cotton. GW doesn't "dye" white starboard to become beige. Beige starboard IS beige.

What to use to remove the stain often depends on what the stain is, though. What do you think caused the stain? Ink? Blood? Rust?

Pretty much, the only things to stay away from would be something that can melt plastic such as acetone. Although, in short bursts, even acetone can be used. But it's best to save that for last.

A stiff bristle brush may help.

Reactions: PointedRose

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I've sanded before, too. You may lose the "pebble" finish but it will look better than it did before.

I wonder... to "sort of match" the pebble finish... I bet you could roughen the surface with a steel brush and a little acetone. Something like that, anyways - I think with a little experimentation you could get it "closer" to the pebble finish. It would at least get rid of the smooth finish that sanding may leave and help it blend in. Just thinking outloud there - I'm sure there's a way to make it not so obvious.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
For something like the ladder back I don't think you need the texture anyways. And once its smooth it is much easier to keep clean.
But Scrubby bleach and sunshine is the first step. I use Soft Scrub on everything.

seasick

Reaction score
I just picked up some GW ladder back chairs and the starboard is very stained. I’ve read where you can use soft scrub with bleach, but I’m concerned about the starboard because it’s the Grady beige not white.

Any suggestions?

What color are the stains?

freddy063

Reaction score
I use muriatic acid for cleaning stains, blood, rust, etc. just don't use it on aluminum , and wash it off with soap and water after the stain comes out.

seasick

Reaction score
I use muriatic acid for cleaning stains, blood, rust, etc. just don't use it on aluminum , and wash it off with soap and water after the stain comes out.
Muriatic acid is a diluted form of hydrochloric acid. Hydrochloric acis is nasty stuff and can be extremely dangerous. I usually don't see a need to use it based on the potential risks. The only time I will use or recommend is cases of extensive barnacle growth in places that are hard to get to. Even in that case, proper precautions should be taken..

That said, as with most stain issues, the best approach is to start with the least caustic approach and move up as needed. In the chair case, vinegar could be a start but I would try a marine mold and mildew cleaner first. I generally don't use bleach since if left on for a while it can stain gelcoat and can damage stitching on seat cushions.
I also don't recommend things like magic eraser as a starting point. Powders like Barkeepers Friend in the non scratch version work well on many stains but like the eraser they are still abrasive. They are more abrasive than you might think and can remove protective coatings that your seats may or may not have. Using abrasives can make the seats look good for a while but if they had a protective coating and you remove it, they will get dirty again.
If the seats are in poor shape, cleaning, sanding and painting is an option. There are spray paints made specifically for plastics and the results can be quite good.

Last edited:

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192

Any suggestions?

Starbrite deck cleaner with PTEF i put that shit on everything , rub it in let it sit a little bit hose it off

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I use the Mr Clean magic erasers on my seats and floor on my Seafarer, just don’t soak the eraser and it cleans quite well, just a little bit of scrubbing seems to work on moist stains but not the really heavy rust stains