How to remove the dual-switch helm dome light?

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I'm sure there is a very simple way to remove what appears to be the original dual-switch helm dome light. There are no apparent screws. So I presume the light cover rotates counter-clockwise to remove. I tried, but was afraid of breaking it in case it isn't meant to move that way. Maybe it just needs some lubricant spray along its edges?

1682696223230.jpeg

1682696174684.jpeg

Appreciate the 'know how' from anyone who has successfully removed this light.

The cockpit light switch has gone bad and needs replacing.

Tx, Rob

reel cookin

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I am heaving the same problem and you can remove the frosted plastic part with a narrow putty knife It takes some effort.Now you can access the two nuts and hold them small needle nose pliers and Phillips skew driver inside the radio box. Place a large towel where you working it is easy to loose stuf. I found that switches are not bad ounce I opened it and that there was corrosion on the fuses inside the radio box. Got the spreader lights working again still working on the chart-cockpit light. I had taken the whole thing out and tested the switches. Plus I had power coming in to fuse panel. Putting the plastic cover back I used a rubber mallet carefully.
Hope this helps

Reactions: A&J Outdoors

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The frosted cover snaps in. If you use a small flat blade screwdriver you can find them an CAREFULLY pry the edge up and pop it off.

Inside there are two screws with nuts inside the overhead box. I have seen one variation where a block was glued into the fixture and screwed into from inside the box.

The switches are available from DigiKey. Search forum for that and I put part numbers on that post.

Diad

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Yes, I just did this yesterday. Installed two new switches and works like new. The above directions are correct and Digikey has like a million of the switches and rubber boots in stock.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks very much for the helpful responses. I have the plastic tools to remove trim rings from electronics. I'll try that first and try not to break anything.

I'm gonna be especially embarrassed when i find those screws in the radio box, because that's the second place I looked! I'll bring a step stool next time and get my head all the way in there with some good lighting. Yeah, that's it, it was too dark, that's why I didn't see them...

Tx, Rob