How to run engine in a bucket?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Sounds like a silly question, but how do you do it? I looked into buying a plastic 55-gallon drum ($10-$20 on Craigslist). But, if I am correct, a drum is 24" in diameter and the length of my anti-ventilation plate is longer than that. Will the drum stretch/elongate enough to fit the lower unit in? Those of you with large OB's, how do you do it? I can, of course, continue to run it on muffs, but I'd like to get the backpressure on the hub for smoother running.

lime4x4

Reaction score
I use a 150 gallon rubber maid tub like the one pictured below. Got mine off craigslist for 50 bucks. There not cheap new like around 150 but it does the job

Attachments

• 30880270.jpg
    30880270.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 3,649

Pay2Play

Reaction score
Yes a 55 gal plastic drum will work. I cut about 1/3 off. It's a tight fit, but works well. Also suggest adding a drain for easier removal of drum after your done.

Clockwork

Reaction score
I run mine in a large tote. Just make sure its deep enough to submerge the impeller. Also monitor the water temp as it will start to get hot and keepthe hose going to keep the water level up.

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I also use the big green landscaping tub for my F225's. I keep the hose running in the tub so fresh cool water is always entering the engines. Be careful when lowering and raising the motor into and out of the tub, the skeg will slice through the tub very easily. I learned that the first time I used this method, had to duck tape the slice. Works great though.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Thanks, guys. I didn't even think of a rubbermaid container - I might already have one that is big enough.

Pay2Play - what size engine did you use in the drum?

mboyatt

Reaction score
I have always been interested in this , but have been reluctant due to the soot produced by my 200hp 2 stroke, circa 1994. Does anyone have thoughts on this? I would like to run it in a tub to cut down on noise, but I fear it will cause a cleaning nightmare. It is an Evinrude Ocean Pro, so the lower unit is white! :hmm

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have always been interested in this , but have been reluctant due to the soot produced by my 200hp 2 stroke, circa 1994. Does anyone have thoughts on this? I would like to run it in a tub to cut down on noise, but I fear it will cause a cleaning nightmare. It is an Evinrude Ocean Pro, so the lower unit is white!

If you saw my video above - my 1990 225 Yamaha was producing more that it's share of smoke and soot. It left a ring around the bucket and lower-unit but if wipes right off with paper towels and maybe a little Simple Green.

I bought the bucket after having a neighbor scream at me for running the outboard at 8:30 pm in my backyard on ears. I put a post on THT asking folks how unreasonable I was for doing that and ended up with a 10-page thread...! :

http://www.thehulltruth.com/archive/t-497148.html

mboyatt

Reaction score
Onoahimahi,
Thanks for posting the thread from THT. Read it from start to finish last night and got a great laugh. some of the responses were very entertaining. So far, I have had no complaints, but I do run her during the day only. If I get back later from a trip I normally wait until the next day to flush. My worries are with the wife. She gets really worried when I run the beast on a hose because - well you know - it sounds like a stock car and smokes. Trying to make some peace so she won't give me grief. I will try the bucket approach and am also interested in the PVC pipe idea. Sounds like a silencer used on handguns.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Onoahimahi,

Watched the video. Nice work. See you received the usual THT treatment. Wild West shootout over there. OK Corral. For added effect show yourself as a Grady owner.

You can be my neighbor any time ! What else is going on but deadhead TV anyway (at any hour). I'd crank up the twins at same time on a cheapo T off hose contraption and two muffs. 12 cylinder 400 ponies, I like that.

I found a rectangular shaped and the deepest Rubbermaid at the depot can even run the unit with the prop on (200 HPDI). Did it for troubleshooting, the HPDIs don't like a lack of backpressure at the exhaust.
Surprised the low cost Rubbermaid even held up when filled up, whoa, cracked the rim, so what, use it for storage anyway.

Watched the Yamaha video too, good for a belly laugh, ha ha.