How To Trim Marlin 30

vangrady

Reaction score
On most of my trips, I am travelling in 2 to 3 foot seas on the nose and sometimes they can end up being 6 feet high by the end of the journey. How would you guys trim the tabs and the engine tilt on a Marlin in these types of conditions to avoid taking a real pounding and what rpm would you be running at. I have been out several times with other Grady's around me and they all seem to run on a fairly level plane compared to how I currently trim my boat (I think that my bow is up too much??). Thanks for your input.

Hookster57

Reaction score
I have a newer Marlin 30 and run her in seas like you describe. First of all, the other boats that seem to be riding better could just be an illusion. They are probably getting pounded also. On a smooth day wide open at 5400 rpm I can get to 40 mph on the old 2 stroke yamis. The best econ speed is 27 at around 4400 rpm. As soon as I get on plane I start tilting the motors up. I set the power then trim the engines up till I get the best speed. You can also hear the sweet spot with practice. My boat always list a little to starboard for some reason. So I bump the left hyd trim till she's straight. With a little fiddling you feel when the boats trimmed true on plane.

In 2-3 foot seas it's really all about the swell and wave periods. I will trim the bow down a little which can help, but it can also expose you to water coming over the top. When ever I slow down I always trim engines down. I will slow the boat depending on the swell period. Usually 15-18 mph works well. My Marlin is like a tank and she rides a lot better than other boats I've been on in choppy water. Hope that helps.

vangrady

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Mine also lists to Stb for some reason when she is up and moving. I have '2000 Yami 250 2 strokers and have found my best fuel economy to be at around 3300. There is alot of wood in the water where I boat, so this speed gives me time to see whats coming up ahead.

fishie1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Into a headsea, trim up, tabs down, pull back on the throttle a bit. Work the throttle/wheel if necessary if the comiing wave is out of sequence, comes from a different angle, or is a bit larger than the usual set.