How to "upgrade" fuel gauge?

Drew61199

Reaction score
Model
Chase
2000 Chase 263. I'm upgrading from OX66 with Yamaha gauges to a Verado and I'm using a Simrad GO7 with VesselView for my "gauge". It just dawned on me that since I'm redoing my dash and getting rid of the old round gauges, I won't have a fuel gauge. Briefly researched and I guess companies make a NMEA2000 sender. Are there other options? Does VesselView have a way to track gallons burned and I just "reset" when I fill up? Just curious my options and if I have to hassle with a new sender or not.

seasick

Reaction score
There are adapter harnesses that allow connection to legacy devices like a standard tank sender, paddle wheel if equipped etc. At least there are for smartcraft harnesses. I suspect that there are similar options for your setup. You need to get a copy of the riggng manual. I assume you will use Smartcraft harness to connect engine to helm

Drew61199

Reaction score
Model
Chase
Yes, it's a Smart craft harness and instead of using the traditional round Smart craft gauge, I'm hooking to the VesselView adapter that converts it to NMEA2K for the Simrad (Mercury is a supported partner, so they have custom gauge displays, etc that will show on the screens). I'll look into legacy adapters as I have no idea what type of sender is even in my boat (assume it's like a car with resistor and some sort of float tho)

seasick

Reaction score
Yes, it's a Smart craft harness and instead of using the traditional round Smart craft gauge, I'm hooking to the VesselView adapter that converts it to NMEA2K for the Simrad (Mercury is a supported partner, so they have custom gauge displays, etc that will show on the screens). I'll look into legacy adapters as I have no idea what type of sender is even in my boat (assume it's like a car with resistor and some sort of float tho)
The senders are standard ( in the US, European are a bit different).
The smartcraft harness at the motor end has a connector that allows connection of a cable that breaks out into 3 sets of 'wires' that can interface a paddle wheel, an oil tank or a gas tankThe cable that I use for my 2006 Mercs is part number 84-859743T2.
At the motor end, there is a multipin connector and several bullet connectors that connect to power sources at the motor.
Get the manual for that cable, it has instructions on what wires to use at the tank depending on whether the tank is grounded or not. If needed I can scan and post the diagram

Sailfishing

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
VesselView tracks fuel consumption. When you fill up the tank either enter how much fuel you have added or set the tank level to full. As long as you remember to do that every fill up you’ll have very precise tracking of how much fuel you have left.

seasick

Reaction score
VesselView tracks fuel consumption. When you fill up the tank either enter how much fuel you have added or set the tank level to full. As long as you remember to do that every fill up you’ll have very precise tracking of how much fuel you have left.
It's great if you remember to reset. The advantage of the sender data is that it will give you a reasonable true indication of fuel remaining.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
if you are doing a repower and new electronics, why not just do a nema2000 backbone?

also, what power are you going with?

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I repowered from old 4 stroke yamahas with round gauges to verados. I just got a simrad 12" nssevo3, I assume they adapted my existing senders because I get all my fule readings on the Simrad as well as all the engine management. total game changer being able to customize how I want to view my fuel consumption and fuel levels.

Reactions: Freedom 205

seasick

Reaction score
I repowered from old 4 stroke yamahas with round gauges to verados. I just got a simrad 12" nssevo3, I assume they adapted my existing senders because I get all my fule readings on the Simrad as well as all the engine management. total game changer being able to customize how I want to view my fuel consumption and fuel levels.
You probably have the Multi port Vessel View Link product. That allows data from multiple motors as well as other devices like VHFradio, Radar etc., to communicate with MFDS like your Simrad.
It isn't cheap:( In addition it by itself does not interface to the fuel tank sender. You still need the interface harness I mentioned.
The nice part about the VesselView Link is that it can be upgraded with new features as they are released by your dealer

Drew61199

Reaction score
Model
Chase
Picked the motor up yest - 2019 Verado 350. The marina showed me the engine plug where I connect the additional harness (Thank you Seasick for that part #!!)

I also ordered VesselView so I can integrate with my Simrad. I am contemplating just using Smartcraft to monitor consumption, but I'm not one to keep 200g in the tank at all times and I can imagine some times where I lose track, etc, so will likely go with integrating the fuel sender. If all goes well, boat goes into shop next week for swap

seasick

Reaction score
Sounds like a plan. let us know how the job turns out.

Freedom 205

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
This might help you with your older fuel sender
https://www.yachtd.com/products/tank_adapter_01.html
The NMEA 2000 Tank Adapter YDTA-01 allows you to connect an existing resistive or voltage type fluid level sensor installed on a tank and display the fluid level on NMEA 2000 devices, including chart plotters and instrumental displays. Its what GW suggested.