How underpowered ...

hbahn

Reaction score
would a '84 190 Tournament be with a Tohatsu 115 2 stroke OB?

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Find out the max recommended horsepower, determine the nearest lower 2 stroke HP actually manufactured in 1984, then go down one size. That's where I've found the optimum HP on a number of boats I've owned, not over-powered but always enough ... :?

bc282

Reaction score
may depend on how you intend to use the boat.
if you use it with light load, only up to 3 persons on board, better boating water conditions, moderate cruise speed desired, you may be ok.
if you pack a lot of gear, tackle, "stuff" and 3+ individuals are larger than average, use the boat in most condtions (as long as it's safe) and like to cruise fast, i doubt 115 would make you happy.

An underpowered boat will make her owner very unhappy rather than a delightful escape and enjoyment.

A seatrail will ultimately be your best gauge. Best to do so with knowing how much fuel is on board, pick a day with your average boating water condtions and not glassed over waters, bring some knowledgeable friends for "ballast" and their input as you sea trial and look over the boat.

I'm sure some members who have owed the same boat can chime in with their experience and opinion on what power seemed good for that hull.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I owned an '86..originally powered with a 2 stroke Johnson 150. Had to have the powerhead rebuilt, and at the 17 hour mark after the rebuild, it blew the powerhead a second time. At that point, it became scrap. Wound up repowering with a Yamaha VMax 150 - circa 1998. (The mid 80s 190s have a 20" transom.)

With the Yamaha, it ran 45 at 5400 and cruised at 32-33 all day long.

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Well, the 1984 GW catalog shows the 190 Tournament with a 115 HP Evinrude so you should be OK. The new 115 Tohatsu should preform better due to modern technology . I have never owned a Tohatsu but from what I have heard, they are pretty bullet proof. Do you have a transom mount or the sea drive (bracket)?

hbahn

Reaction score
I passed on the boat. The motor was the best thing about it.... Needed a new tank, wiring was so so, as were the cushions. Trailer marginal. Guess I'll keep on lookin'.

andrew

Reaction score
I recommend a 150hp.....2yrs ago, I repowered my 1990 Tourney 19 w/ a 150 Honda. I think it's a good fit -- powerful, full efficient, plenty strong to carry a full fishing crew. The OEM motor was a Yamaha 175 2-stroke which actually weighed a bit less. My boat is rated to a 200hp max, however I would recommend the 150hp. I use it inshore and nearshore in Beaufort/Morehead area.

Andrew