HPDI Mystery Filters- Sluggish/Stalling finally fixed!

StoryTime

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I get so much from this forum I just wanted to add something back that may save someone a lot of trouble/time and $$. I have 2001 HPDI on my 228 and after running great all last season I took her out for initial run this year and it was stalling and couldn't get on plane. Limped back into my slip and did all the new season stuff- new water/fuel filter and plugs....still stalling. Changed on engine tank filter....still stalling. Changed VST filter...still stalling. At this point I had about 8 hours of labor and many more hours of online research and was losing sleep over frustration. I don't know crap about engines and everything I do know I learned on this forum, THT and youtube but I'm far from even a novice so i had to call mechanic as I was out of patience. Anyway, he plugged in computer and was getting all kinds of codes. Atmospheric pressure sensor, injector, Fueld pressure sensor, water temp, trottle position, water in fuel.....GREAT!

Anyway after a few days, parts and redo-ing what I'd done he finally does some online research to find these "mystery filters" that are inside the HP injectors. They are about $1.00 each and that is what was causing the issues. Changed those 2 little filters that are about the size of a tic-tac and boat is running like a top!

It's not going to solve every problem but if you have changed EVERYTHING else and not sure what to do next google "HPDI Mystery Filters". It could save you a ton of time, frustration and Coin! Really good thread about them on THT. (That I found after the fact!)

That's what I've got....hope it helps someone......

Fishtales

Reaction score
Interesting read. Thanks for posting and glad your issue is resolved.