hub kit blowout

gxsess

Reaction score
runnning a 200 optimax with a 4 blade prop on an 86 overnighter. came back in yesterday and noticed the prop was loose. the hub kit looks stripped. i think thats what its ca:lled. its the assembly that slides over the shaft and then the prop goes over it and gets bolted down. its merc prop. i haven't hit anything no marks or scratches on the prop. this is the second time this happened. first one i ripped apart was brass this one is some other kind l. has tuis happened to any one else?

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Are you talking about a Flo Torque hub? (looks like black plastic or composite). They are designed to sacrifice to avoid catastrophic damage to the pro and lower unit. Do you remember hitting something or grounding the boat? Some people claim that, depending on boat , engine , horsepower, they can also strip by nailing the throttle from a standing stop. They are not as durable as the standard rubber hub, by design.

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bayrat:
I had the same thing happen to me when I had a Optimax on my last Grady. I replaced the hub three times in about a month and a half. Finally the dealer called Mercury for me and they said that they found out the exhaust from the Optimax was too hot for the hubs they had in the Mercury props. They have a bulletin that shows the dealer how to drill more or larger holes somewhere that will allow more coolant water to pass through or around the hub to keep it cool. The dealer never showed me where he made this modification so I cannot give more information but I never had this problem again in the 10 more years I kept it. The problem mostly manifests itself when you do a lot of idling or no wake speed running. In my case, I have about a mile of no wake zone before I get out into the gulf.
Ed

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That's pretty funny considering Flo torque is a Merc product and both posts on this problem involve Mercs. I have the Flo Torque on my Yamaha and no problems ...so far, at least !. Go figure. I was thinking that maybe 4 blade props had too much torque for the hubs and maybe they had to beef them up a bit. Thanks for the info.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I have a 200 hp Optimax on my Trophy , done 600 hours in 4 years, a lot at iddle speed downriggingand dragging live bait for marlin , never had an issue with the torque flow hub kit, I used several different props including a 4 blade Vensura .
I now have an Optimax 250hp on the 228 G but I only have 10 hours running, time will tell.

LUNDINROOF

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Mine was a 2001 model I purchased in November of 2000. I think I remember the dealer saying that later Optimax's had this modification on all engines shipped from the factory. Don't know when they started shipping with the modification but I know that I couldn't keep a prop on the motor until it was made on my motor and never had a problem after.

Loved that Optimax and wanted to get my 283 with twin 225's but the only Grady dealer in the area didn't handle them.