Hull bottom and specs on Grady 228.

2ndChance

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've having a trailer built for my 2005 228. The builder is out of state, so he can't take measurements. Have the specifications or hull bottom details changed from 2005 to now? I know it's a SeaV2, but have chine and strake design changed? I sent him a link to the specs for the 228 from the Grady site in case he needed to look it up. I guess I should send him some photos. But no need to if hull bottom design hasn't changed.

Thanks!

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Who is the trailer builder? Have they told you they don't have them?

If you call GW Customer Service (252-752-2111) they have a spreadsheet with all the measurements of the boat and the recommendations for trailer capacity. They will happily email it to you.

2ndChance

Reaction score
appreciate it, parthery. I should have thought of that. Builder says if it's a SeaV2 22' walk around, the specs and details haven't changed and that he's built many trailers for these hulls. I'm just being paranoid.

handinpalm

Reaction score
If you have a bow pulpit on the 228, pay special attention on type of bow stop you get on trailer. I just had a trailer custom built for my 2005 228, with a standard bow stop mounted on the winch stand. There was a clearance problem with pulpit and winch, while launching and retrieving. Had to have the whole winch stand/bow stop redone where a large V shaped bow stop was mounted lower on its own stand, and winch stand lowered and moved farther forward, to eliminate clearance problem. This is a typical problem with most boats that have long pulpit. I can post a pic later if you are interested.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
SeaV2 has been around since the early 90s. Only difference would be axle placement as the W/A's have more weight forward compared to a DC or CC.

Most - but not all - of the custom guys have the measurements. I know for a fact that Loadmaster, Peterson, Owens/Slide On, etc... all have them. I also know that - unless something has changed - neither Charleston Trailer nor Sport-Trail have them. Sport-Trail only needs to hull once to build a jig. They didn't have it the last time I was in the market a couple years ago. They may have it now. Charleston Trailer doesn't have it and actually passed on building a trailer for a friend of mine because he couldn't get the boat to them to measure it.

2ndChance

Reaction score
appreciate it everyone. It is Owens - they have a great reputation, and I shouldn't worry, but why not do some digging on my end, right? Handinpalm, if it wouldn't be too much trouble to post a picture, that would be great.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you are dealing with Jeff and Doug, you are in good hands.

I'm on my 4th trailer from them...all for GWs. Every one has fit like a glove. The only thing I've had to adjust was the bow stop - and - in one case - the side guides. (I like 3/4" or so away from the rubrail.)

Take a look below....I did not need a cow-catcher to clear the roller. Unless your ramps are real steep, I doubt you will need one either.

20951857910_d028f1e2f7_c.jpg

20923894790_fa7dd4ba64_b.jpg

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Nice trailer Parthery. Looks like quality work. My Loadmaster is nice, think your Owens might be a step up.

handinpalm

Reaction score
I have an Owens trailer also. Here are some pics of the new Bow Stop. I had issues with the original winch stand on every ramp around here. Almost ruined my pulpit and made it a PIA. I also went with the 15" tires and steel wheels, the trailer floats like a top (Not happy with that). I added 80# of weight to the trailer and it still floats. Just added another 20# to the stern cross beam and will have to see if that did the trick. They use thick wood beams for bunk that add a lot of buoyancy. I also drilled a hole in each fender well to let the air escape. The bunks were a little long and will probably take a chain saw and cut the ends off. If you don't do something similar with your trailer, you will have issues, at least if you have a pulpit. BTW if you are looking for good boat covers or bimini, check out Florida Boat Tops in St Pete. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Attachments

• DSCN4825[1].JPG
    DSCN4825[1].JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCN4826[1].JPG
    DSCN4826[1].JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 110

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Loadmaster builds a nice trailer and I have owned a couple of theirs, as well.

For me, the big thing about Owens has been - besides the quality of the trailer - the level of service they provide.

Example - over Memorial Day, I got hit in the parking lot. Tore the fender up pretty good. I called Owens the Tuesday after Memorial Day....Thursday afternoon of that same week a new fender arrived via UPS. Took me longer to get the tools out then to actually put it on. Jeff had the measurements, even drilled the holes...it literally fit like a glove. The UPS charges were more than the cost of the fender.

They are good people to deal with.

From this:
41057850390_c2b16665a4_c.jpg

Back to this: (and that's a reflection - not a bent new fender)
42819944052_576aaa6ce4_c.jpg