Hull-N-Bilge Cleaning

Sea Shift

Reaction score
Finally got time today to clean the hull and bilge. Thanks to all the other posts for the recommendations. I used the ol' 50/50 Bleach and water for the bilge and then a product called on/off for the hull. Both worked great!
bilgedirty_zps7e8b3455.jpg

Bilge_zps476d4520.jpg

Bin_zps2bff9e98.jpg

binclean_zps5dca3cae.jpg

Fishtales

Reaction score
I like the Zep Stain and Mold Remover in the blue gallon jug. It is about $7.50 at home depot. Spray it on, wash it off. Takes off everything.

TUNAHUNTER197

Reaction score
She looks good Doug. Been putting this job off, but need to clean out the bilge. On/off is a great product. Watched a rust stain disappear before my eyes!

fishbust

Reaction score
Looks good from here.

I used simple green and a pressure washer on mine.
It was totally black down there. I think I was the first person to clean it in 14 years.

gradybilge028_zpsf2dbb210.jpg

fireman_bob

Reaction score
I've had good success with Bar Keepers Friend for cleaning the hull and topsides. It works really well on fiberglass staining and grime removal.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Came out great.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
fishbust said:
Looks good from here.

I used simple green and a pressure washer on mine.
It was totally black down there. I think I was the first person to clean it in 14 years.

I think I'll try the Simple Green / pressure washer route also. (I like that back-up bilge pump arrangement on Fishbust's boat - suspended with a starboard bracket.)

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Watch using On & off inside the boat, it doesn't play well with rubber parts. Its acid!
Case in point...this fuel line was exposed to on&off when it ate through a deck plate gasket and drained onto the fuel hose.
The damage went un-noticed by my boats prior owner. It did clean the deck stains well though. :wink:
DSCN6714a_zpsf23bf22c.jpg

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Lt.Mike said:
Watch using On & off inside the boat, it doesn't play well with rubber parts. Its acid!
Case in point...this fuel line was exposed to on&off when it ate through a deck plate gasket and drained onto the fuel hose.
The damage went un-noticed by my boats prior owner. It did clean the deck stains well though. :wink:
DSCN6714a_zpsf23bf22c.jpg

That picture still makes my head shake

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
They say things happen for a reason. That hose prompted me to replace all the hoses and in doing so take a closer look at the tank. As shown in my other post I ended up discovering a couple of 1/4" holes hidden beneath the support boards. They would have surely leaked fuel on a nearly full tank.
Rather be be aggravated thinking about the work ahead than experience a fuel leak on the water and what disaster that could follow.

My bilge looks similar, all greasy right now. I'll be using the simple green and power wash method too. I hope to have mine looking as nice.
Mike.