Hull Repair Thoughts

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I recently purchased a 2000 Seafarer 228 and was aware of this damage on the hull. My plan is to repair it prior to having the bottom painted in the Spring.

Hull Repair (pics 391, 399, 402)
1. What is everyone's thoughts on this scrape of the hull?
2. How should it be repaired? Should I use tex marine mighty repair kit or something else?
3. When repairing it, what should I be aware of so that I don't cause the boat to lean one side or the other? I have seen some articles on THT where folks have stated that they repaired the hull and now their boat is leaning. I assume this is relatively small, but still concerned.

Note: The dark spot seems to be some mold/ mildew from water draining out of the drain plug. I was able to clean it, but did not take pictures afterwards.

Deck Chip (pic 397)
4. For the deck chip, should I just use gelcoat scratch patch or something else first?

Attachments

• IMG_0391.jpg
    IMG_0391.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0399.jpg
    IMG_0399.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0402.jpg
    IMG_0402.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0397.jpg
    IMG_0397.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 69

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
Look to be minor stuff to me.
It looks like a scrape maybe from a trailer incident or a fork lift taking the boat out. It appears just to be the gelcoat. Does not appear to have damaged the glass or if so just the outside epoxy not woven glass. I think it can be easily repaired. I would look at the plug mount. It appears this may have been disturbed slightly. Might want to remove, inspect and ebbed/install.

As for the other, I think gelcoat touch up is all you need. You can either match up or see your dealer for gelcoat.

Ozz043

Reaction score
You cannot go past “ BOATWORKS TODAY” on YouTube .
All the answers there by a professional who knows how to get The message across

Reactions: Denko

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The hull scrape is EXTEMELY minor. Sand away the surrounding antifoul and the area in question till you get to fresh material. Put a few coats of epoxy or poly on it and call it a day. There will be ZERO performance issues - you're thinking way too much about that. You don't need any gelcoat. Finish with new antifoul.

The deck chip is an air void. To do it right, remove the fitting and then you need to sand/grind till you, again, get to fesh material. Note that this will end making the hole many times larger. Build it back up with epoxy/thickened epoxy and then finish with gelcoat. There's easier ways to do this, if you don't mind it being less aesthetically appealing.

Andy is fantastic!

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You got great advice on previous responses. My 1978 228G is currently in a shop that is removing the bottom paint for aesthetic reasons. My boat had minor damage to the keel and strakes that went down to the top fiberglass layer, damaged from my cheap Venture roller trailer and a difficult boat launch . I did temporary repairs with Marine-Tex.
Really no biggie.

Last edited: