hull repair

Tore

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
re gel coating my 1996 Adventure any advice ????

seasick

Reaction score
re gel coating my 1996 Adventure any advice ????
Have a pro do it.
Seriously, gel coating the entire hull is not a trivial task and requires the proper prep, tools, application and mostly expertise.

Reactions: ocdansar

bFransen

Reaction score
Usually people don't gel coat a boat, they paint it. Imron, awlgrip, or the like.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I once did a Glas Ply 17 - the white upper portion above the rub rail. I scuffed it beforehand with sandpaper and used an airless sprayer with the appropriate tip orifice, having already thinned the gel a bit for good application. All I can say is if you do it yourself, absolutely add the correct amount of a proper surfacing agent, and be prepared for more sanding, rubbing, polishing than you have ever done in your life...

Capnjim7

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have done gel coat repairs and I have done some painting with Epoxy paint on a Whaler and Fortier. Getting gel coat to come out right is a work of experience and an art form. I just did a small repair on the Sailfish where I got a bolt scrape at the fuel dock. It took two tries using Grady Gel coat and I was using mylar rather than surfacing agent to eliminate the air from the gel. As was said, you will sand until you are dreaming about it for weeks to come. I slightly oversanded the second effort to where you can see s slight translucent dark spot about the size of a dime..(couldn't leave it alone) Unless this boat is going to be museum quality you really ought to at least consider a good marine epoxy paint over using gelcoat..it can be rolled on and brushed out with amazing results. But even there the prep work is critical to a good outcome. A good paint job is 90 percent prep. JMHO..

Tore

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I suppose this depends on your skill set and what you already know about the subject. Can you tell us what your plan is?
I am having a pro do the job I hope it comes out showroom great.