Humbolt Squid

alibi 2

Reaction score
We ran 6 miles north of Santa Cruz, CA...then 9 miles out to around a 2,000' to fish for giant humbolt squid. After setting our rods up with squid jigs we lowered them to 500' and began to jig...within 10min's Davids rod bent and the fight was on. Next my rod bent and now we both were engage in a battle with a giant squid in the 40 pound range. I chose to use a fighting belt. We would fight and fight then the rod would go slack. It was as if the squid released..soon we learned that what this meant was the squid was swimming toward our boat because suddenly the fight would be on again..finally the squid was close enough to gaff..was allowed the gaffed squid to hang in the water for a couple minute to "ink" out..then put them in the ice chest...we hooked up our next squid much closer to the boat as the school had followed the hooked sqiud up from the ocean depths.

We fought 5 squid before quiting..two we kept to eat and 3 we drove to San Jose to give to our son's old high school marine biology teacher at Bellarmine college prep. He and the students were very excited to get the squid to examine. They had just done a diasection on small squid from the super market and the giant squid were a real treat. They examined ever part and then BBQ'd and ate them...they now have the beaks on display in the classroom...

The Grady did a great job allowing plenty of deck space to comfortable fight the squid.
IMG_0101.JPG

Average Joe

Reaction score
I'm not sure I know what to say....ugly, impressive, awesome, interesting, not in my boat, etc. :shock: :)

alibi 2

Reaction score
calamari

Ugly and dangerous..they have a beak as large as a Macaw parrot..each tenacle has, not only a suckion with teeth, but a hook...they will grab and tear they're pray and pull it toward they're beak...they are also probally one of the more intelligent marine animals...

While in the sea of cortez we were trolling surface lures for dorado when all our rods began to pop...we would grab a rod and begin to reel only to lose the "fish"...when we got the lure (large skirted lures) to the boat they were torn to shreds!...that is when we notice that the boat was surrounded by hundreds of squid, they were flying past us and leaping out of the water to attack out lures, and we were trolling at 7 knots!!...

We brought in all our gear and switched to a couple squid jigs. My son had never fished squid before. We handed him a rod and told him to start jigging ...he was standing with the rod in his hands and the jig hanging over the side of the boat (but not in the water)...he was telling us he didnt know how to jig for squid when one leaped out of the water and grabbed the jig taking off with it...I would rather fall into the water with a school of sharks than squid!..

But they taste very good if prepared proberally.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Cool that you guys are getting them up there as well. They showed up again in So Cal this year, though it's been a few years since we've targeted them. We learned real quick to gaff them up near the wings, not by the head, unless you want a fire hose of squid ink and goo in your face. :D

Those beaks and tenticle suction cup teeth are intimidating!