hurricaine Hanna

Danmac

Reaction score
Was just looking at the National Hurricaine CenterS projeceted path of Hurricaine Hanna. Thinkjing of taking my boat off its mooring here in Duxbury Bay. Just wondering what the consensus is here in the Northeast,
take the boats out or leave them in?

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I think it all depends on your boat's location, whether you have floating docks or fixed, and how much the area is exposed. In your case, being on a mooring, I'd probably haul it out. Mine is in a wet slip behind my house, and I do have a trailer for her, so I will make that call by tomorrow evening or early Sat morning. The ramp is only 2 blocks from me, so I will be able to act quickly, if needed.

That being said, my boats have remained tied at my dock, for every storm we have had since 1996. (but we've never had a direct hit). It will be interesting, since there seem to be a steady stream of them coming across the Atlantic this time.

Good luck, and if you keep her in the water, make sure you double your lines, remove the bridge enclosure curtains, and anything loose. Will the lines needed to secure her in the slip, handle extremely high tides without pulling he under water? Take a close look at the slip, other boats, and nearby buildings; then decide.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm staying in, but my marina is well protected and both slips next to me are empty this season so no idiots to bang into me :D Going down tommorrowafter work to tighten some lines and check the bilge pumps, supposed to blow 40kts with gust to 60...should be a nice blow :roll: .

sharkboy

Reaction score
New Jersey? You guys have no idea. I have two boats and a second home in the path down here. Should be OK though, Hannah might be a weak Cat 1 by the time it passes by here and hopefully to the East and back out to sea.

Good luck to all, and hope no damage is done. God help us all.

Woody

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
Danmac said:
Was just looking at the National Hurricaine CenterS projeceted path of Hurricaine Hanna. Thinkjing of taking my boat off its mooring here in Duxbury Bay. Just wondering what the consensus is here in the Northeast,
take the boats out or leave them in?

Depends on how your docking location maybe influenced by the predicted wind direction of the storm.. Some marinas are more susceptible to certain wind scenarios than others...

Also try and check on the boat during the blow if you stay in. Good luck..

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'm just north of you in Marshfield. I am staying in. Will just tighten things up a tad. Is Bayside actively pulling boats?

Danmac

Reaction score
hanna

I decide to pull my boat of its mooring after talking to some people with more years in Duxbury bay than me. On the way home with the boat in tow I recevied a message on my cell from the harbor masters office recomending that you remove your boat or at the very least double up mooring lines and check chafing gear all the obvious.What made my decision to pull my boat was the fact that they were removing the docks ifrom in front of the harbormasters office.I Would think you would be safe in Green Harbor it being more protected. Duxbury on the other hand has that long southeast fetch up thru Plymouth.Hoping everyone gets thru with no damage.

wlewis

Reaction score
Does anyone on this forum have any experience with Jetdocks and hurricanes/storms? As a precaution, I took my Gulfstream off of my Jetdock and out of the water for Hanna, Ike and Josephine. I wonder how much wind the boat on the Jetdock could withstand.

striped bass

Reaction score
Danmac:
I'm not too far from you here in Watch Hill, RI. I'm staying in for the time being. I'm on a mooring in WH harbor with double lines and heavy enough for a boat three times the size of my T 225. I'm keeping my eye on Ike which poses the bigger threat.

Neckerindux

Reaction score
My 208 is in Green Harbor, added a few fenders, snugged up the lines, Hope the guys around me do the same.

Smart move hauling out of Dux bay, It only takes one in that tight field to cause havoc.