Hydraulic Oil leak

Vtdochop

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 2003 Tournament 225 and have been plagued with a recurring steering problem. Last year upon losing engine helm control I was advised that there was a leak at the engine and proceeded to have a 400.00 repair completed. This year while leaving the harbor again I lost the control and had to be towed in. Upon inspection at the helm the reservoir was low/empty and no visable signs of leaks at the outboard. The mechanic topped it up and advised that I was all set...he tested the boat later in the week and said I was good to go ..of course after receiving a new bill for 96.00. :bang .
Do you have any suggestions on where I might direct their attention and solve the problem conclusively as well as a back up repair kit to have on board ?
Thanks and have a great day.
Peter

seabob4

Reaction score
The fluid has to go somewhere. Assuming the end glands and seals have been replaced on the cylinder, that indicates the helm pump is leaking. There are seal kits for the pump, it's not a hard job. You probably have a HH5271 pump. Post on THT and the guys there will tell you exactly how to do it...