Hydraulic pump location for Bennett M120 trim tabs

MikeTSFL

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Hello all,

Read the board frequently, but this is my first post. I'm in the process of installing Bennett M120 tabs in my 2002 208 Adventure. I just finished mounting the tabs/actuators on the outside this evening and I'm trying to figure out the best location to install the hydraulic pump. Starboard battery locker has the battery switch on the transom and port side has a pump and a filter. Has anyone mounted the pump somewhere other than the transom in one of the battery lockers? I understand the factory installs have the pump and relay module up front, but the aftermarket kit comes with a long cable for the EIC and fairly short hydraulic lines. Hydraulic lines are already attached and installed on the actuators, so probably limited to what I can figure out aft.

Thanks!
Mike

seasick

Reaction score
Grady installed the pump in the starboard locker in the cabin. The hoses that come with the tabs will not be long enough but as I remember, Bennett will swap the hoses for longer versions.
I assume you have the oil tank in the port aft locker. If so, there isn't a lot of room for the hydraulic pump. I know the forward locker is a pain but the pump will stay dry up front.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
In my 208 the pump is beside the fuel filter in the aft port locker. behind the battery against the transom. Short run to the tabs. Mine has required no maintenance in almost 10 years, just a check of the fluid level. I also installed two Armstrong 10 inch hatches in the splash well, so all easy access for maintenance.

seasick

Reaction score
In my 208 the pump is beside the fuel filter in the aft port locker. behind the battery against the transom. Short run to the tabs. Mine has required no maintenance in almost 10 years, just a check of the fluid level. I also installed two Armstrong 10 inch hatches in the splash well, so all easy access for maintenance.
Do you have a 4 stroke motor? ( and therefore no oil tank)

MikeTSFL

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Grady installed the pump in the starboard locker in the cabin. The hoses that come with the tabs will not be long enough but as I remember, Bennett will swap the hoses for longer versions.
I assume you have the oil tank in the port aft locker. If so, there isn't a lot of room for the hydraulic pump. I know the forward locker is a pain but the pump will stay dry up front.
I have a 4-stroke, so no oil tank, but there's a water pump next to the filter so that takes up any other available space in the port aft locker

seasick

Reaction score
I have a 4-stroke, so no oil tank, but there's a water pump next to the filter so that takes up any other available space in the port aft locker
I asked because if you have the oil tank which I suspect that Mike has, there isn't enough room for the pump assuming he has fresh and/or raw water options. Pumps and oil tank on port, batteries on starboard.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes a 4 stroke, but also a raw water pump mounted just forward of the trim tab pump (built a small platform cantilevered over the bilge to fasted the water pump)and reserve. A tight fit but not doable with an oil tank in that position.

seasick

Reaction score
Yes a 4 stroke, but also a raw water pump mounted just forward of the trim tab pump (built a small platform cantilevered over the bilge to fasted the water pump)and reserve. A tight fit but not doable with an oil tank in that position.
No fresh water pump in there? How about fuel/separator filter. I have all of those in the port locker and it is tight for wall space and with the oil tank, tight in general.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have the 205 Tournament. It has the same stern layout. I have the raw water washdown pump, freshwater pump, fuel/water separator and battery in the port stern under-seat storage space. My battery switch, battery, trim tab pump and EIC brain-box are in the Starboard side storage space.

Looking forward in the starboard stern under-seat storage.
JujyErXl.jpg

Same picture with water cover lifted.

C5qrM9Yl.jpg

Looking straight down in same storage space. Top of photo is forward
LonnEJ7l.jpg

MikeTSFL

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have the 205 Tournament. It has the same stern layout. I have the raw water washdown pump, freshwater pump, fuel/water separator and battery in the port stern under-seat storage space. My battery switch, battery, trim tab pump and EIC brain-box are in the Starboard side storage space.

Looking forward in the starboard stern under-seat storage.
JujyErXl.jpg

Same picture with water cover lifted.

C5qrM9Yl.jpg

Looking straight down in same storage space. Top of photo is forward
LonnEJ7l.jpg
Thanks for posting the pictures. Very helpful in figuring out my options.

Mike

seasick

Reaction score
The earlier models like the 2002 when rigged with 2 strokes had both batteries and switch on the starboard side The oil tank, water pumps and separator were in the port locker. When the boats went to 4 stroke power, one battery was moved to port to better distribute weight. That also created a bit of extra space for equipment in both lockers. Now if the fuel separator was mounted in the motor well, there is plenty of space on those models for the tab pump.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Seasick, no fresh water pump but yes do have the fuel filter/separator and battery, not much room for anything else in there. Also have both batteries port and starboard in battery boxes with strapped lids which add to the tight space.

MikeTSFL

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
So, here's the final installation. I ended up moving the battery switch about an inch to the right (inboard) and that made enough room for the hydraulic power unit.

IMG_5317.jpg

Reactions: Halfhitch