Hydraulic SeaStar Steering System Leaking Hyd. Fluid

bdubz06

Reaction score
I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas on my leaking SeaStar hydraulic steering. The issue is the steering wheel module is steadily leaking oil especially when we take the boat out. Sometimes is so much that it creates small puddles on the deck. You can see the stream running down the helm station. It seems to be working fine for now, but not sure how long that is going to last.

My boat is a 1993 Adventure 208 and is most likely the original helm steering system. The engine component was replaced last summer when the boat was repowered.

Thank you in advance for your tips and suggestions.

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
Every two years or so mine would leak as well.. At that point I would remove the wheel and the three screws behind it and change out the 'O' ring for the helm. Costs about $2.

Make sure to top-off your helm w/ fluid as required. An easy and cheap fix.

tibeachguy

Reaction score
Man, This post came 2 weeks too late. I just picked mine up from the shop for the same problem. They did a tiny bit more like check my electrical systems, replace a breaker, fix a loose wire, but the main thing they did was put a "seal kit" there in the steering column. Cost me $218.00!!!!

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
tibeachguy said:
Man, This post came 2 weeks too late. I just picked mine up from the shop for the same problem. They did a tiny bit more like check my electrical systems, replace a breaker, fix a loose wire, but the main thing they did was put a "seal kit" there in the steering column. Cost me $218.00!!!!

Unless you have tilt steering, if that part of the job took them more than 15 minutes you're being hosed.

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
tibeachguy said:

You don't need the 'kit', just the 'O' ring.. Live and learn.. Now you know for next time...

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Are you sure the leak is at the shaft, and not from behind?

If not sure , check the hose/tube connections at the rear, may need to be snugged up.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If the front quad ring is leaking it's not hard to discern it from the JIC fittings in back leaking. Just follow the trail and see where it leads. If they just blindly replace the whole pump you're most likely getting bent over the barrel.