hydraulic steering leak 225 tournament

Emerald Isle steve

Reaction score
Have a bid accepted on a 97 225 tournament but the survey revealed a small leak in the hydraulic steering after a 12 mile run, plus some hydraulic fluid near the reservoir for the hydraulic trim tabs. Worried about the possible costs of repair especially the hydraulic steering. If I have the owner fix the boat I would have to pay for another "sea trial" by the surveyor to verify as the boat is not near me. Advice would be appreciated.

striped bass

Reaction score
My 1998 225 had a similar steering leak. It was as simple as tightening up a nut as recommended by the surveyor. You may not be so lucky. What did your surveyor say about the leaks? Trim tabs are another story and could be complicated. I don't know what your leak sources are so I can't speculate. You could drop a bundle of dollars chasing down hydraulic leaks and still not find the source. Get the boat in Bristol fashion before taking ownership. The 2nd survey will be cheap by comparison if you don't get the leaks fixed before purchase.
A 1997 vessel of any make usually has many issues other than leaks simply due to age so you need to be vigilant before purchase. Many issues are not identifiable by a surveyor. FYI: I spent over $5K just on basic maintenance stuff and replacing outdated electronics on my 225 after purchase. Nothing fancy just plain updating, safety issues, and deferred maintenance.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Where was the steering leaking? In one of the hoses on the motor side?

The seals may need to be replaced....it's not a particularly difficult job (I did them myself in a couple hours on a 226 I owned.)....

Call Bennett regarding the tabs...their customer service is 2nd to none.

I hope you are able to get it resolved...I closed on a '98 225 2 weeks ago....the waiting is killing me. The trailer will be finished this week and I'll go to Ft Lauderdale to get it next week. I too have done a considerable amount of shopping the last couple weeks...my garage is filling up with boxes...an HDS-7, Std. Horizon VHF, Poly-Planar stereo, speakers, etc...

Emerald Isle steve

Reaction score
Turns out that this boat has a multitude of problems including an extra hatch cut into the deck, not cutting a bulkhead but cutting a support stringer. Hour meter disconnected as well plus more issues. Lesson here is to be sure to obtain a marine survey before buying. Still looking for a Tournament 225. EI Steve

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
interesting the hour meter was not "reconnected" for the sale!