Hydraulic steering repair

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Need to tap into the knowledge on this forum -My steering has had a slow leak at the stern for a few years - a drip here of there - recently I have seen quite a bit more and it appears to be coming from the hudraulic cylinder where the piston emerges to move the engines - It does not look like that big a job to replace it if I can find an identical part for a 2004 Sailfish - Has anyone done this repair - is it difficult to install, do you need to adjust steering, bleed the system etc - any watchouts appreciated - guessing it is an expensive part too!

Thanks in advance

uncljohn

Reaction score
the shaft seal replacement kit is fairly cheap, I mean you're talking about a couple of o-rings and I think they throw in the wrench for it too. You'll also need the steering fluid and the refill kit for that.

The problem you will likely find will be the bolts on either end of the shaft will be frozen. These really need to be removed and greased every few years, or they will sieze. If they sieze, you need Liquid Wrench or something like that, and I even had to use a blowtorch and hammer to free mine. MOST IMPORTANTLY do NOT cause any damage to the actual stainless shaft!!!!! If you damage that, it will tear up your new o-rings and you'll be back to having a leaky cylinder.

And note you're not looking for "a part for a 2004 Sailfish". You're looking for the part that corresponds whatever engine you have. Likely a SeaStar product for 150-200HP engines.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Bought the kit and it took me and my brother an hour to do and we were going slow. Make sure you bleed the system as instructed. Might have to do more than once. I would bleed it and then run the boat and see if you need to do it again. The other thing to watch for is any dings on the shaft (there's a joke there somewhere). If there are, you will need to replace it. You should also go ahead and replace the seals at the help. There is one behind the steering wheel and some below. If you do, I hope getting the steering wheel off is easier then it was for me. Took me half a day and 2 busted wheel removers. Good luck!!!!