Hydraulic Steering

Tatt00z

Reaction score
Good afternoon friends. I bought a set of OX66 take offs last weekend to replace my original 200's on my 1990 Marlin. I took for granite the twins I bought would have hydraulic steering on both motors, so I never checked when I bought them. Anyway, they did not.I took one of the old ones off the old motor just incase one wasn't enough. My question is, can I just cap off the 2 lines that went to the port motor, and how do you people think it would steer? The travel looks a couple inches shorter on the newer steering dampner.
I could remove everything except the guide pins that actually hold the brackets to the motor. Does anyone know the correct name for them, and if they are sold individually .
Thanks for all your help.
Glen

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
My sailfish only has one hydraulic cylinder for both motors and it steers fine. As far as capping off the second set of old hydraulic lines, I would say you should hook them together so the fluid can flow, but that is just a guess. I would look into setting the new motors up as the old ones were. I ran into trouble where sea star changed their design in the early 2000's. I put the new tie at system in and it works a lot better. I have some photos and info from earlier this summer if you search it.

I am not sure what brackets you said you need, but I have a few parts left over from my old system. If you can post a photo that might help if you do not go for all new.

People have said sea star customer support is great, I did not have much luck with them but it might be worth a shot as well.

Tatt00z

Reaction score
Thank for your quick reply Fire93medic. Here is a picture of the piece I think I need, maybe just running the one cylinder will be just fine.I need the piece that screws onto the hanger from the motor, and attaches to the black bracket to the left of my finger.
Thanks again, Glen

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 1,554

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Tatt00z said:
Thank for your quick reply Fire93medic. Here is a picture of the piece I think I need, maybe just running the one cylinder will be just fine.I need the piece that screws onto the hanger from the motor, and attaches to the black bracket to the left of my finger.
Thanks again, Glen

I thought you might have been referring to the tie-bar setup. I have some of the extension arms for the "old tie bar" system. I do not have that part. What I do remember when I put a newer motor on my Offshore, that arm would not come out and needed a new one too.

Tatt00z

Reaction score
Thank you for your help, I believe I am just going to try the one cylinder first. Obviously it works on your boat, and the 30 ft Sonic I bought them off of.
Thanks again Glen

gw204

Reaction score
I also have a spare Sea Star cylinder... Could make a nice cylinder/cushion/wiper package for you. :)

Tatt00z

Reaction score
I'm going to go with the single set up first, cushions I found a set, wiper motor and arm, is all I need, I got 50.00 bucks if you want to part with them . :<><