Hydro shield prop saver/ hydrofoil

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I wouldn’t be to keen to drill 3 holes in the skeg and use stainless bolts to bolt on more stainless to the aluminium. Especially if it is a saltwater boat.The wings look likely to grab an obstruction and twist the motor while the skeg alone would bounce over it. It may stop damage from direct contact with the obstruction but you could end up with more damage. I’ve used cavitation plate foils on smaller boats and they do give stern lift but I you have trim tabs you don’t really need the foil. If you are after stern lift then I would recommend a foil that bolts to the cavitation plate.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
They're kind of hit or miss. You never really know if they're going to help or make things worse. For some of the reasons mentioned above, though, if you wanted to experiment, go with the kind that attaches to the anti-ventilation plate.

However, they only produce "X" amount of pounds of lift. The heavier the boat, the less effective they are. In your case, I wouldn't bother. Just use your trim tabs.

southernstyle995

Reaction score
They're kind of hit or miss. You never really know if they're going to help or make things worse. For some of the reasons mentioned above, though, if you wanted to experiment, go with the kind that attaches to the anti-ventilation plate.

However, they only produce "X" amount of pounds of lift. The heavier the boat, the less effective they are. In your case, I wouldn't bother. Just use your trim tabs.
Yea I could see that