Hydrofoil or Trim Tabs?

CatMar II

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
We have an '83 Tarpon. Our boat is powered with a '03 Mercury 135hp, Saltwater Series V6. My question is when we get up on plane I am running around 3800 rpm's. I know it is a heavy boat. I was wondering if I were to put a hydrofoil on the lower unit do you think it would help with being able to stay on plane at lower speeds? I could look at putting trim tabs on too. I worry about putting more holes in the transom though. The boat is 30 years old and there are already some repaired holes from older fish finders, our Garmin 441s is there, the previous owner had a bilge on the back for a live well pump. Those are just a few I know about.

Thanks

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
Trim tabs for sure. They should be mandatory on any boat under 50 feet or so. Hydrofoils only after you see what the trim tabs do for the boat. If you feel that are really necessary and you are not happy with the improvements that trim tabs will give you, then install hydrofoils. Small holes in the fiberglass can be repaired easily, but must be done properly. Big holes need to be plugged and fiber-glassed. I would check any and all previously repaired holes to make sure that they were done properly.

CatMar II

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
If I were to go with trim tabs would I need the manually controlled style or could I get by with gas filled? It does look like trim tabs are the way to go. I see some guys use the smart tabs.

Action_Jackson

Reaction score
What prop are you running?
If you need to fill any holes on the transom just to be sure or seal anything West System Six10 Epoxy works very well.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
My vote is trim tabs...significantly better than those hyrdo foil things on the motor as you can fine tune how the boat rides both bow pitch up or down and how the boat lists or leans from side to side too while running....

zimm

Reaction score
CatMar II said:
If I were to go with trim tabs would I need the manually controlled style or could I get by with gas filled? It does look like trim tabs are the way to go. I see some guys use the smart tabs.

Go with a set of Bennett trim tabs. Very popular, high quality, and top notch customer service. "Tabman" on thehulltruth forums works for Bennett and always answers questions from customers.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Bennett is awesome and Tabman lurks here as well. He helped me last year with solving a problem. In life we will always have problems and those businesses who address those problems are leaders. Tabman is a leader in customer service. It is not the problem, it is how we solve it that makes a difference in business success or failure.

Tabman

Reaction score
CatMar II

Let me know if you have any questions about installing Trim Tabs on your Tarpon and I will be delighted to help.

Tom McGow
Bennett Marine