I believe that Ethanol has rotted my fuel lines...

frank@figjaminc.com

Reaction score
...and appears to have led to damage in the fuel injectors on my (nearly new) yamaha 200's. I have a '92 25ft Sailfish which I repowered last year with twins. While the fuel lines were replaced from the filters to the engines they were not replaced on the other side of the filters back or to the fill valve. I reached the conclusion that this is the issue after having my starbard engine sputter repeatedly even after changing fuel filters on three consecutive trips. I confirmed the rot in the lines by sticking a clean rag inside only to have it come out of the lines with black slime and particles just as what I see in the bottome of fuel filters.

Does my theory ring true with anyone else? I know that people are experiencing this type of rot with older fibreglass fuel tanks (which mine is metal) but I have not heard about the fuel lines also rotting in this fashion. I will have a mechanic look at the fuel injectors and see if they are truly damges or if it is the screens that simply need cleaning but I am wondering if anyone has an opinion and some direction on replacing the lines? I am thinking that if i replace the lines and simply pump out the fuel tanks (as oposed to replacing the tanks or even pulling them to clean) even if I have to do it a few times to get all the particles debris out that it will be enough. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on how I should go about doing this myself and what tubing if any you have found to be the best material to prevent future rot. I welcome all thoughts (good, bad or ugly)

seasick

Reaction score
If your lines were original, they are 16 years old. Don't blame the ethanol, its old age.
Same goes for wrinkles and gray hair...

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My original 1992 fuel lines were marked LAWRENCE.

I replaced them all, but they were just fine, no rot, no no issues other than the 3/8 inch ones being a little hard at the tank nipples. And alcohol was used here for a long time, I have so since 2000 when I bought boat.

Don't know if they used LAWRENCE in your boat

Grady White had issued a statement about how long ago the fuel lines installed were rated for E10, just contact them, if you want to know.

But if the lines are disentegrating, doesn't matter. But you may have been spiked with a higher % of alcohol than 10% on fill up, different story.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Were you using racors or something equal?

I think they tend to stop this dissolving rubber crap since they are the last line of defense until motor hose squeeze bulb.

Others can comment on if this filters action.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The fiberglass tank resin was dissolving and staying in solution. Froze up valves on a buddies old gas Bertram, long before I ever read about it anywhere.

He relined tank. Back in business.

There is not a whole lot of fuel line feed hose to replace, where gas sits all the time and do it's thing, fill hoses are temporary contact but get those also. First do feed lines.

I used the novaflex lawrence stuff, gave lawrence the business again.

Don't see why fuel in tank is no good, since feed lines are after tank.

You can hire someone to polish fuel if concerned, cottage industry created due to E10.

frank@figjaminc.com

Reaction score
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.....

bottom line is the hoses need replacing....maybe i can get away without pulling the fuel tanks...will let you know.....

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You don't have to pull the tanks to do hose changes.

Tanks stay put

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
No tank pulling needed...not sure why there would be. The hoses are old if original and need replacement, ethanol was not the cause. Any hose after 10 years of use will show signs of deterioration and will require replacement no matter how much care you take of them. As mentioned before, the fuel does not stay in the hose long enough to harm it much...and they are built for fuel, ethanol or not, just filling the tank will not ruin the hose unless it is installed wrong or not the correct type or hose.

Your hoses attach at the top of the fuel tank, there should be a round hatch cover in the deck above it where you can access it. You will want rags nearby incase there is fuel in the hose, there shouldn't be but I''ve seen it before, a rag absorbing it is better then dumping it into your hull. There may be some hoce clamps screwwed into bulkheads to hold the hose, hopefully there isn;t, some models and years had it some didn't. Access can be hard to get to some of them but can be done, worst case remove the center deck plate and you can access all you need easily. Double clamp the new hoses, one clamp is not enough.

seasick

Reaction score
gradyfish22 said:
. Double clamp the new hoses, one clamp is not enough.

When using two clamps, each should face the opposite direction and the screw should be offset from each other.