I got to cross The Bar

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
Not Grady specific, but figured id share...

For years, i have been fascinated by the Colombia River Bar. For those of you unfamiliar with it, it is globally renowned as one of the worst inlets/bars in the world. It can have 30ft breaking waves under the right conditions. its not uncommon for the bar to have 10-15' waves. it is the location where the USCG does rough water seamanship training. its a pretty cool and intense place.

last week, my job took me to Astoria, OR to test a new prototype vessel. the boat is just over 120 ft. early last week a storm rolled in and the bar had 16" breakers and we were not able to cross. i did get to walk out on the north jetty and to say that i was amazed would be an understatement. it was my first time being that close to waves that big. being 30 ft above the water and seeing the large waves that close and taking salt spray to the face in 30-40 mph winds was very cool. as the week went on, the storm system moved out and the weather improved. we eventually got to cross late in the week with 6-7 footers in the bar with the occasional 8 footer. as someone that boats on the upper chesapeake where a normal bad day is 3' at 3 seconds, it was cool to experience the larger waves with a long period. it was also intense and humbling to cross where so many mariners have lost their boats and/or lives trying to make a living. the area is called the graveyard of the pacific for a reason.

one thing crossed off my bucket list

(oh, and to keep it a bit grady based, i saw a marlin, islander, and chase or bimini on the way back in)

Peter A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Good guys to have around at places like that notorious bar crossin!

Attachments

• IMG_5239.jpeg
    IMG_5239.jpeg
    744 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: Ekea

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Should have let me know you were coming. Im about an hour east of Astoria. We get over that way every couple of weeks or so for dinner.

I cross the Columbia river bar fairly often, and yes, it is no joke. Considering its almost 6 miles wide at the mouth, it has an enormous current. It can even get rough a few miles upriver. I had a friend that couldn't get back to the marina he had launched out of, as he was taking lots of water over the bow of his aluminum boat. He ended up taking his boat about 5 miles upriver where I had launched from, and I had to drive him back to get his truck/trailer.

Reactions: Ekea

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
Should have let me know you were coming. Im about an hour east of Astoria. We get over that way every couple of weeks or so for dinner.

I cross the Columbia river bar fairly often, and yes, it is no joke. Considering its almost 6 miles wide at the mouth, it has an enormous current. It can even get rough a few miles upriver. I had a friend that couldn't get back to the marina he had launched out of, as he was taking lots of water over the bow of his aluminum boat. He ended up taking his boat about 5 miles upriver where I had launched from, and I had to drive him back to get his truck/trailer.
unfortunately, i think i am done in the area, but if we have to go back, i will definitely let you know. it would really be cool to meet up and hear more stories about the bar. i bet that 265 does well in those waters (obviously not on a bad day on the bar, but general ocean swell and an "easy day" on the bar)

Rustygaff

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
A couple of years ago I spent a couple of days in Astoria. Stayed at the cannery hotel under the bridge which we enjoyed. Being an east coaster, I did not know a whole lot about the Columbia bar. But after spending some time there and going to the museum I got an education. I never knew the CG rescue boats were made to roll like they do until I went to Astoria. Kudos to the Coasties who are stationed there. Brave souls. I would imagine the local pilots that bring shipping traffic to and from the river over the bar are pretty well compensated.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
A couple of years ago I spent a couple of days in Astoria. Stayed at the cannery hotel under the bridge which we enjoyed. Being an east coaster, I did not know a whole lot about the Columbia bar. But after spending some time there and going to the museum I got an education. I never knew the CG rescue boats were made to roll like they do until I went to Astoria. Kudos to the Coasties who are stationed there. Brave souls. I would imagine the local pilots that bring shipping traffic to and from the river over the bar are pretty well compensated.
the museum there is really cool, my entire team really enjoyed it. we stayed in the holiday inn express right under the bridge. i am guessing you were in the hotel a couple hundred yards south that is also more out over the water. that is now a fancy spa hotel now. they did not have per-diem rates, haha.

i was thinking that it would be a really cool job to be a bar pilot.

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
This was earlier this year. The guy stole the boat and could have easily lost his life.

Check out some of the other CG training videos from the Columbia, pretty crazy.

Last edited:

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
yea, that guy threw a dead fish on the front porch of the goonies house before stealing the boat. i like the radio call "yo, mayday, mayday"