I have a 1995 24' Explorer. I can't figure out how to fill up the livewell behind the port cockpit seat.

George W. Potts

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I have a 1995 24' Explorer. I can't figure out how to fill up the livewell behind the port cockpit seat.

seasick

Reaction score
Are you sure you have the livewell option?
If so, there will be a pump somewhere (aft probably) connected to a seacock. There will be a switch labelled Livewell at the dash if the boat has a factory livewell option.
Activating that switch should cause the pump to run and water to enter the livewell. I am not sure but you may need to insert a rubber cork in the livewell drain on the bottom for the tank to fill.

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
2 options. Location of the seacock is going to vary depending if the original owner has the aux fuel tank option. Single tank the seacock is under the forward deck plate. There should be y valve control knob to the port side of the livewell. It will direct flow from the raw water washdown to the livewell. Divertor valve should be located behind the storage box under the port side seat.

If it has dual tanks the seacock and pump should be in the bilge. no idea where the y valve control and valve are located.

Pop off the inspection hatches on the forward most deck plate. You should see it there. If not the rearward most deck plate.

Grady white still has the full plumbing and wiring diagrams on their website. I have printed and laminated them and keep them in the boat for reference when needed.

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I use the port livewell for a fish box mostly. The rear livewell gets used the most for bait, I had to add a water pick up, seacock, plumb and wire the pump.

Jimsalv

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I hope you have your answer by now! The Explorer has an either or option for the live well or the washdown. There is a y valve coming from washdown pump which directs the water to your washdown OR the live well. The washdown switch on the dash is the one you use for both.

Jimsalv

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
2 options. Location of the seacock is going to vary depending if the original owner has the aux fuel tank option. Single tank the seacock is under the forward deck plate. There should be y valve control knob to the port side of the livewell. It will direct flow from the raw water washdown to the livewell. Divertor valve should be located behind the storage box under the port side seat.

If it has dual tanks the seacock and pump should be in the bilge. no idea where the y valve control and valve are located.

Pop off the inspection hatches on the forward most deck plate. You should see it there. If not the rearward most deck plate.

Grady white still has the full plumbing and wiring diagrams on their website. I have printed and laminated them and keep them in the boat for reference when needed.
What boat are you talking about?! The seacock, whether single or two tanks is in the rear! It is under the back deck hatch. The y valve is under the port rear seat cover.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Livewell will have inlets (likely on side in a column configuration for water to enter and a large center floor drain. Fish boxes usually have a smaller diameter drain with a hard rubber stop.

Jimsalv

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Livewell will have inlets (likely on side in a column configuration for water to enter and a large center floor drain. Fish boxes usually have a smaller diameter drain with a hard rubber stop.
How does this answer the original question? He has a 95 Explorer and the livewell is behind the port seat. He asked how to fill it. I gave the answer...

Fishtales

Reaction score
some additional context to Seasick's post. it seemed like he wasn't sure if he had a fish box or livewell.