I might need a new trim/tilt motor!! Help!

Gary M

Reaction score
Had a big leak after the last trip and could barely get the Yamaha up. It's at my local Grady dealer and it it's just a seal or two, no biggie, but he explained that the unit may have coroded over the years (2001 model) and if so, I'll need a whole trim/tilt unit running about $3,200!! Does that sound "correct"?

If it's the entire unit gone bad, can someone point me in the direction of a place where I can get the best price on a new unit? I'm not interested in anything on E-Bay or a used unit.

I'm just trying to do some pre-emptive planning......... just in case.

BTW...... the unit has been running slower lately (last 6 months) and with a small oil slick occasionally behind the boat but the last trip the slick was a bit bigger and I could barely get the motor up........ indicating a loss of fluid. I have my fingers crossed for a blown seal.......

Thanks in advance!

Gulfstream G

Reaction score
I had the same problem with one of the trim pistons on my 2002 Yamaha last season. I would get a small slick every time I put the engine up or down. Had the seal replaced last week for about $250 and the boat went in the water a couple of days ago. Put the engine down last night for the first time and there was a slick. I am praying that it was just some residual fluid. Haven't had a chance to take it out yet. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Gary M

Reaction score
Gulfstream G said:
Let us know how it turns out.

Will do.........

I'd love to have a place lined up ahead of time so that in the event that I do need the entire thing, I'll either be able to buy it and have it shipped to my GW dealer, or use it to possible buy it from my dealer for the same price......... I don't want to wait for the "phone call" and then start looking around......

Thanks.......

Gary M

Reaction score
Thanks FT.......

I'm still waiting (now Sunday) to hear what they've found out....... with my fingers crossed that it's only a bad seal.

Gary M

Reaction score
The Service Manager did mention that an entire new trim/tilt unit would run about $3,200 and on boats.net it runs about $2,800 so IF that's what happens, at least I have an option or some leverage to save a few bucks..................

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Make sure its not just the trim motor. My buddy has a 93 Sailfish with 200 Yamahas and just replaced the trim motors. He found them on line off brand for under $100 each and had a local mechanic come to the house and replace them. He had one bad but did both engines since the price was reasonable. 2 hours of labor for each motor. I alos replaced my trim motor on my 94 Johnson and did the same, found the trim motor on line for around $80 and 2 hours of labor.

Gary M

Reaction score
The motor itself sings like a canary! The fluid is what's leaked out so it either is a seal(s) or it was explained to me that the whole unit casing may have corroded somewhere to the point that a leak developed and in that case, it needs to be replaced. The boat is docked behind the house 24/7 and the engines are 10+ years old so it needs to be yanked out to work on. My G-W dealer is just two miles away and on the water.....

Pete1313

Reaction score
If you got water in your system, there is a good chance it is shot and will need either a rebuilt or relpacement. Replacement cost is like you said $3k in parts...but the book labor to install it is only 2 hours! With rebuilt, you'll save probably $500 - $1000 overall, but you're getting rebuilt parts.

Now, this happened to my trim cylinder, and I just had them replace the rams and seals......solved the problem. but my boats a trailer boat and very unlikely to get water in the trim oil....so it was good.

Just replacing seals will probably not do it. My guess is you have some scoring or corrosion on the rams and new seals going over scored/corroded rams will only last a year at best, IMHO....

Gary M

Reaction score
Yeah, I had some scoring on the port engine last year and they were able to rebuild that one at almost $1,000. We'll find out what the problem is when they get it out of the water and take a close look at it.....

Slacktime

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with a 2000 208 with a 150 2 stroke. I replaced the seals and it slowed the leak rate, but it still leaked. I believe that there was corrosion under the unit against the hull (where you can't see it).. I had a solution but you're not gonna like it. I ended up selling the boat to a guy who had a 225 4 stroke honda looking for a home. He did'nt care about the leak. however, a very trusted mechanic at the local Grady dealer told me that the motors seldom fail and it is most probably a leak that you can't see. Looks like you may have to BOAT (Break Out Another Thousand). Good Luck.

Gary M

Reaction score
Yep, it was another B-O-A-T problem!

The main piston had some corrosion on it (it's in the water 24/7) and the scoring wore out the main seal. Same thing happened to the other engine about 18 months ago. A new piston, a bunch of new seals, etc and it's back to 100%. So glad that I dodged needing a whole new unit!

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions with this (latest!) repair job! :bang

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just replaced all seals on my trim cyls and was surprised how easy it was. Gents with the right tool this is a very easy job. Tool is about $100.