I Need a Valve Job

Paul_A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Good call. I am on Xarelto due to a PE. Blood thinners are aggravating.

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks for the kind thoughts, guys! You all are a good group of people.

Good luck with the procedure. Hopefully the less invasive procedure works out Did you choose the artificial or the ovine valve? I ask because it may tell me what bait choices you make when fishing:)

I'm going with the tissue valve. Either pig or cow depending on the size of the valve I'll need. They only last maybe 10 years. That should be good enough for me. They can do an in-valve replacement if necessary after that. It's a trickier procedure, but maybe it will get better as it is done more frequently.

The problem with the mechanical valve (other than you can often hear them click) is that I would need to be on blood thinners for the rest of my life. They are typically used in younger people since they last a lot longer than tissue valves. I've fished with people on blood thinners and they really need to be careful. I'm too old to be careful.
Best wishes to you Doc … that will most likely be an open procedure. And the tissue valve would be my choice also for a multitude of reasons. I had an open procedure in January 2020 after an incidental discovery of an aneurysm at the root of my aorta (boy I was lucky). It was large however the surgeon was able to spare my aortic valve by removing it and suturing it into the Dacron aorta replacement. In the event my valve which was normal ( tri leafed ) was torn I would have opted for a bovine tissue valve.

I’m sure you are in good hands at that facility. They do amazing things these days. I was in good shape going in and spent 5 Days at the hospital. Recovery was tough the first week or two but progress was right on or ahead of schedule. Keep moving !! If you want to chew the fat sometime before or after feel free to hit me with a PM

Regards and good luck

Pat