I need all 330 Express experts please!

Gary M

Reaction score
This year will mark summer #6 for our trusty 2001 Marlin the HEY MON! We've highly upgraded her since we bought her in 2006 and enjoyed many trips to the Bahamas as well as local fishing trips, cocktail/dinner cruises, etc. But, we're ready for 4-strokes, a bigger, wider & heavier boat as well as a nicer cabin for our Bahamas trips.

I have been "advised" to stay away from the F-225/earlier models and we'd like F-250 anyways. The used 2008s with the 350s are beyond our budget. Am I correct that the F-250s came standard starting with the 2005 year models? If so, that puts us in the market for 2005-2007 year models.

If that's correct, what differences are there between the 2005-2006-2007 years? When did the diesel gensets come standard? Any changes in the cabin?

Anything to be aware of? Any weaknesses? Anything to be on the lookout for? Any of the three years better than the others?

All advice will be greatly appreciated!! :dance

alfa1023

Reaction score
Just info for your database:

We have a 2005 330 Express that has the twin F250's and diesel Fisher Panda generator, all factory installed. Love the boat, moved up from a 272 Sailfish. Would consider the boat close to underpowered (we fish/dive her hard, so always loaded with heavy gear/people/etc.).

georgemjr

Reaction score
I am not aware of any changes between those years. The slew of changes came in 2008. I have a 2006 w/ 250's. I find it to be perfectly powered, not peppy, but perfectly powered. I also fish on an Albermarle of the same size and the Grady is faster. I love the boat, don't see any drawbacks...

Gary M

Reaction score
How have the Fisher-Panda gensets been? Problems? Easy to service?

We were at the Palm Beach Boat Show yesterday and we gave the 330 a close going over one more time. We found out that some folks have plumbed in a Y-valve into the mid-berth AC ductwork in order to divert that air cond up and into the helm area! Anyone ever done that? It certainly sounds "do-able".

Anyone run a 4-blade prop on the F-250? I could care less about top end, time-to-plane, etc but want maximum fuel economy.....

Thanks for the comments........

HMBJack

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2006 330 with F250's, diesel genset and bow thruster last November. Love the boat. My quick inputs which you may find useful:

1. Given a choice, get one with a diesel genset. There's a reason why Grady did this.
2. Though not necessary, try to get the bow thruster. Comes in handy...
3. Figure on one nmpg whether you go 20, 22, 25 or 27 knots. All the same per my usage so far.
4. The F250's are very adequate in my book. Boat rises to plane quickly and WOT clocked at 35 knots.
5. The 330 is a marvelous boat. Nothing to dislike. My only upgrades included LED Nav and cockpit lites.

Good luck!

p.s. as to #4, my 265 with twin F225's was 10 knots faster but the 330 is more comfortable and luxurious.

georgemjr

Reaction score
The diesel FP genset has been excellent. I did have a starter relay go. Once I diagnosed that, it was a quick: unplug old one, plug in new $10.00 relay fix. I now carry a spare on-board just in case. Other than that, no issues. I have read that the impeller is difficult to change, I will find that out first-hand this summer. Gman added a Y to his rear berth AC hose with a closable vent and diverted it to the helm area this spring (on a Marlin). Works well. You could check his postings, I think there were some pics. I am sure he would be happy to share any information you would need. I haven't read anything about different props that has made me want to change yet. The boat planes fairly quickly and cruises just fine. I have found the same as above post. It doesn't matter what you do, fuel milage remains the same: heavy or light load, low or high cruise, etc. expect just over 1 mile to the gallon, 1.1 or 1.2 I have found...george

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had a 2007 330 with 250's, she was not a rocket ship but i was pleased with the 42-44 MPH top speed and the MPG i was getting, she handle the water great and she could along with the 40 'ers and 50 'ers very well. Reason i changed was i really like center consoles, other than that she was a great boat.

Gary M

Reaction score
On my 2001 OX-66 250 EFIs on my Marlin, I get right at 1.0-1.1 nmpg in fuel burn (at 24-25 knots) so if I move up in size and weight, yet my fuel burn stays the same, I'm happy! Plus, I won't be burning $20/gallon Yamalube anymore!

I'll track down the AirCond Y-valve thread as that may be an upgrade that we would use and enjoy. The option to have the helm area air conditioned on those 3-4-5+ hour runs to the Bahamas in the summer would be appreciated by everyone!!

How do you guys "see" the engine gauges with the electronics "box" up? I'm a retired pilot and I "like" to be able to see my engine gauges quickly at all times. Do you sit on a NYC phone book? I'm 6 feet tall and sitting as "tall" as I can in the helm seat, I can't see the gauges with the box in the full "up" position. Is it possible to raise the seat high enough to see them?.................. Thanks

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Gary, i had twin E120's on my 330 and i did not have to raise the e-box all the way up to see the screens. I am a lot shorter than you(5'8") and i had no problem seeing the gauges while seating, but again, it is very rear for me to sit and drive the boat, 99.9 % i stand.

georgemjr

Reaction score
I have an E120 in my electronics box and raise it just enough to see the bottom of the screen or just low enough to view the bottom of the Yami gauges. I am 5'10" and also a pilot and like to scan my instruments. I am able to see both. The bottom buttons on the E120 are reachable but not entirely above the electronics box housing. You could always adjust the seat. It becomes a balacing act of having the seat at teh right hight to see out of the windshield, see the gauges and view the GPS...