I saw an amazing thing today...

mrzeeno98

Reaction score
My son, at the helm of our much-loved Sailfish 272, showing my 9-year-old grandson the right way to pilot the boat. It seems like only yesterday that I was teaching him the rules of the road, keeping a sharp forward lookout and operating the vessel at a safe speed for conditions and traffic.
Now he's passing on these lessons to a new generation of boaters, a generation I am certain will be careful, considerate of others, and environmentally conscious.
I started taking my son boating and fishing when he was five years old, and he told me recently he has no childhood memories that do NOT include our summers on the back bays and the ocean. This is our third Grady, each larger than the last.
I was filled with such pride and awe, and find myself quite humbled seeing this tradition continue. Turning 60 this year, I realize that although my life may not go on forever, I hope to leave a positive impression on the future.
Thank you, son, and thank you Grady White for making a boat that has always brought us back safe and sound, ready to enjoy another day on the sea.

mskulick

Reaction score
Good on you, mrzeeno... I also have a 272 Sailfish and a couple of 6 year old grandkids. Hoping I can follow in your footsteps.

Regards & Best wishes,
Mike

JayT

Reaction score
Amazing Thing

That is what its all about my friend. Not a better story in the forum. I am 47 and have grown up around boats all my life. I have been without a boat, the first time, for the past five years. Recently I purchased a 248 Voyager. I am now teaching my 5 year old the ropes and there is nothing better than to see the smile on his face. He has already started picking out can bouys and understanding basic navigation and safety.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Wow...a great summer story. We only have a finite time here and I can tell you making memories, sharing the sea or lake are some of the best things we can pass on. I hope to be in your shoes someday watching my son or daughter pass along what they are learning now. Thanks for sharing.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
I just got chills as I read your story and my mind catapolted to when my 2 year old is your sons age - hope to be doing and feeling the same thing!
Thanks for sharing
Tim

townvet

Reaction score
Great story and a great reason to own a Grady White.

This past weekend my 8 and 10 year old boys and I went out Cod fishing. After boating 14 keepers (all of which we let go) my 10 year old has something hit his Shimano Butterfly jig on the way down at approxm 75 feet deep (fishing in 260 feet of water). All of a sudden he is pulled against the side of the rail and his line is screaming out. I grab the rod from him and for the next 90 minutes we fight a very strong and determined Tuna. My 8 year old at the wheel following every instruction to the letter, spinning the boat using the twin screws as the Tuna changes direction and makes a run right past us....the fish broke off (actually caught the chase and line snap on video).....what a story we have to tell about the one that got away.

Priceless memories made on a Grady.

capeguy

Reaction score
That is what its all about. My 9 yr old now pilots our Sportsman through harbors and rivers. He understands basic navigation. Nothing like watching them learn.

Good stuff.