I went with the Marlin!

sickday

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who gave their input! I bounced around a little between the Marlin and the 265 Express. I loved the Express helm, and sporty look, but I had to go with size and practicality over style etc.

My 2001 Marlin comes nicely outfitted with a Furuno Fish finder (8" screen), outriggers, radar, vhf, new bottom paint, fully serviced Yamaha Saltwater 250's, wax/polish detail etc, stereo system, windlass, full enclosure (good condition), new 5/8" nylon dock lines, a fresh coat of bottom paint and all of the features that come standard on the Marlin 300. The boat runs and looks like new!

Got the financing last week, I should take delivery later this week or next. Just waiting on the surveys. I expect them to go well.

I'll post pics as soon as I take some with a camera other than my cell phone.

The only thing I need now is a Charplotter. A local dealer is turning me onto a Garmin 4208 (around $1,400) Seems like the 4208 has a ton of features that I really dont need. I want a big 8-10", detail charts and a clear image (day light or dark). Any thoughts/recommendations?

mronzo

Reaction score
Congratulations! I'm sure you'll like it alot!
Good luck!

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
congratulations!

i'm a garmin fan. i would go with a larger screen though.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I feel Garmin has the best chartplotters, they have a lot of features but it's easy to navigate through them. The screen issues of the previous generation is solved with the new ones.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Congrats on the Marlin!

I also use a 4208. I think garmin's user interface is among the best. And they seem to be good about continually updating and improving the software. I like the fact that I can superimpose XM weather on the navigation screen. Some that I looked at didn't do that nearly as well, if at all.

Rob

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
well the upside is you got the bigger boat........the downside is you may have missed out on the opportunity to be a part of the most exclusive of all Grady clubs..........

Just Kidding, congrats, may you have many restful nights and may all your fish be big.

sickday

Reaction score
Thank you very mch for the thoughts! I feel very fortunate to be an official part of this forum now (as an owner :lol: ) Cheers to the Grady White family! Long live the company!!!!!!

Matt

Capt Armchair

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Congrats m8, I bought my '04 off gerrys on this forum. I love it. Use it not nearly enough, but I think it is a great all purpose, extremely well built rig. Solid and can take a beating.

Little Marlin Story for you...

Last summer, shortly after I bought it, I got caught in 6-7 foot quartering sea, (I got about 2 mi out and turned around) with an occasional wave that would splash on the hardtop, and it was nerve racking, the only other boat near me, was a 50+ ft sport fisher, and we both decided to head in.

Inlet was messy, mis-timed a following sea at one point and dove down the trough off a big a$$ wave coming in the SLI inlet, I saw green water for a sec in my glass. Also scary but she handled them well. Took about 5 secs for the cockpit to clear 8" of water.

I was nervous while out there, and glad to get in and once in, was happy at how solid the boat is. It can handle alot more than I can, provided the motors keep turning.

Grady Whites are boats you can be proud of. Many congrats, have mucho fun bud!

sickday

Reaction score
Good story! The dealer mentioned the draining capabilities of the deck, I just hoped that I wouldn't have to put it to the test that often. Thanks for the sharing.

Capt Armchair

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
sickday said:
Good story! The dealer mentioned the draining capabilities of the deck, I just hoped that I wouldn't have to put it to the test that often. Thanks for the sharing.

No Problem m8, post some pics of your new ride soon!

Bassman

Reaction score
I really like my 4208, especially the XM weather overlay that shows stoms coming in..