I'd like to replace original Helm Steering to a Tilt Unit

Capnrey

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
*1996 Tournament 192*

Is this possible? My Helm Steering currently is the Sea Star Standard Hydraulic Helm. I don't like the steering wheel position where it is most of the time. I really would like to have it be upgraded to a new SS Classic Tilt. Can I just have the helm retro fitted? or does the entire system need to be replaced?

Anyone ever done this upgrade?

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I don't think you can convert it from fixed to tilt without replacing the helm. I can't find any part numbers for a conversion kit, either.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
There are different types of Helms and different tilts.
There are Sport tilts and Classic Tilts and front and rear mount helms
They changed over the years.
When I got new helm I needed to buy the new "Classic Tilt" because the old "traditional tilt " would not work with the new helm.

So, it is an add-on but you have to have the right one and older helms may not work with the available new tilts.
Seastar was bought by Dometic and you get different info depending on whether you use the Dometic website or the old Seastarsolutions website.

Good Luck

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
*1996 Tournament 192*

Is this possible? My Helm Steering currently is the Sea Star Standard Hydraulic Helm. I don't like the steering wheel position where it is most of the time. I really would like to have it be upgraded to a new SS Classic Tilt. Can I just have the helm retro fitted? or does the entire system need to be replaced?

Anyone ever done this upgrade?
This showed up on my local Craigslist. Maybe you can save a few bucks.

https://sarasota.craigslist.org/bpo/d/englewood-sea-star-hyd-steering/7515751964.html

seasick

Reaction score
My steering boxes are designed for a tilt mechanism and a tilt kit can not be added to a standard steering with no tilt. Steering is older teleflex and a newer seastar. Boath are NFBs

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have a Teleflex tilt wheel. I have taken it apart several times to change the shaft seal. Looks to me to be a add-on. Check their site or call them.

seasick

Reaction score
If I remember correctly ( and that is not a sure thing), the steering unit for non tilt has a threaded tapered shaft that the wheel slides onto .
The steering box for tilt has a short flat shaft with a side mounting screw that the tilt shaft bolts to. That is the case for the mechanical NFB units. I don't remember if the hydraulic system was the same.

Better yet, take a look at the installation docs on the site. Dometic is the parent company for Seastar

brdawg2001

Reaction score
Boatsteer.com can help with that...should not be hard..replace pump while you are at it

seasick

Reaction score
Based on the boat model. I think all the boat has is mechanical rotary steering unit, maybe NFB, maybe not. Therefore there is no hydraulics and no pumps.

Capnrey

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Based on the boat model. I think all the boat has is mechanical rotary steering unit, maybe NFB, maybe not. Therefore there is no hydraulics and no pumps.
It has a Sea Star 1.7
HH5271 Hydraulic helm.

Last edited:

Capnrey

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
So If there is no way to replace the helm to a tilt from the current model - I'm assuming I would have to replace the entire steering system ith a new Sea Star . . .or . .maybe a 20degree angle wedge might work? 20 degrees would help for the time being. Until I decide to repower - which I don't think will happen for awhile - I guess I'm stuck.

seasick

Reaction score
If you look closely, at the instructions, you will see insert A1 which shows the bolt you have to remove to separate the tilt mechanism from the steering box. The steering box has a tab with a hole for the bolt and not a standard 3/4 inch tapered shaft.
In this example, the base is different when installing the tilt mechanism.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

Fishtales

Reaction score
The tilt mechanism isn’t all that great. It does tilt the wheel but really doesn’t buy you a lot of room with a 15 inch wheel. Go check one out to ensure the effort is worth the benefit.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
So If there is no way to replace the helm to a tilt from the current model - I'm assuming I would have to replace the entire steering system ith a new Sea Star . . .or . .maybe a 20degree angle wedge might work? 20 degrees would help for the time being. Until I decide to repower - which I don't think will happen for awhile - I guess I'm stuck.
This outfit is about 5 miles from my house. Give them a call and tell them you need some advice about your needs, and they will get you a guy to talk to. They have reconditioned stuff that you can't tell from new but with considerable dollar savings. They have very knowledgeable people there, I have found.

https://www.boatsteer.com/