If I didn't already have a dock-box

richie rich

Reaction score
Not bad...a Taylor can be 2 to 3 times the cost....but one thing it says is that its not lockable....may make a difference depending on the security of your marina.But its a good price.

sluggoe

Reaction score
yeah - this is great for the price but i need a lock and need to screw it down to the dock;

does it have holes in the bottom to pass bolts?

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I don't think it would be much trouble to add a padlock hasp for the lid, and to drill 4 holes inside, then use lag-bolts and large fender washers to fasten it down.

You might take a trip to Lowes to see if it could work for you. I know fiberglass dock-boxes are a lot more money; I paid over $800 for mine, and it is smaller than this one.

sluggoe

Reaction score
i hear ya....i have been trying to get a used one the past couple of seasons but somebody always gets it b4 i do;

i thought i was destined to bite the bullet and get a new one but will def check these out!

thx.

saltypup

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Doesn't the sixth bullet down say "lockable lid". Looks great for me and I just happen to be in the market.

Thanks for posting
Chris

Oh, there I see under specs it says non lockable. I think thats wrong though because its says lockable in the description and the video shows a closeup of the lid with a lock installed.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If you are in a marina, check policy, some don't allow just any dock box.
Get the OK beforehand, take website photo to show.

georgemjr

Reaction score
Just bought one. I went to Lowes and they were there, for the $139 price. I mentioned that I saw them on the internet for 10% off or $125. I was told that that is internet only. I asked if they knew if it was free shipping, and this is where it gets funny: they told me I would have to pick it up at the store, not have it shipped. So, I asked, I would have to go home, buy it, and come back to this exact spot with this exact item to get it for 125. After some work I was able to convince them that I should get it at the lower price, but they were not happy about it. By the way, it is lockable, it has a pre-drilled hole for a lock. So, is anyone else as insane as me? I am buying this box to house extra "things" for my '06 330 Express that cost over $100/hour to operate and I would have walked out if they made me pay the extra $13.00. Anyone???

richie rich

Reaction score
George, you da man....stick to your guns...that $13 is a couple of frosty cold ones at your favorite watering hole when you return from a fishing trip...all on Lowes....and buy one for Capt Bill!

georgemjr

Reaction score
Oh yeah, and thanks Capt. Bill - great find. I have been on the fence about pulling the trigger on a $500 dock box. This was the perfect solution. I'll be installing it (putting it together and bolting it to the dock) today. Thanks Capt. Bill...

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Glad to help. I always appreciate a bargain, too. BTW, this is Memorial day weekend; if you are a military vet, show your DD214 to the cashier at Lowes or Home Depot, and you will get 10% off any purchase up to $2000 (including sale prices, but not clearnce items). It's their policy to give that discount on Memorial Day, 4th of July weekend, and Veteran's day.

Bama96

Reaction score
georgemjr said:
Oh yeah, and thanks Capt. Bill - great find. I have been on the fence about pulling the trigger on a $500 dock box. This was the perfect solution. I'll be installing it (putting it together and bolting it to the dock) today. Thanks Capt. Bill...

Well how did the install go? Did you have to drill holes in the bottom or were there pre drilled/knockouts? Mine is going to have to be bolted down so it doesn't walk off.

georgemjr

Reaction score
The build couldn't have gone easier. It basically snaps together and then you install a few brackets for support. I did have to drill 4 holes in the bottom to put some galvanized lag bolts through to keep it from "walking." It is a pretty big box, but amazingly enough I filled it in about 2 seconds. I don't know how I had all that stuff in the compartments, cracks and crevices of my boat...

sluggoe

Reaction score
i'm going to get one this weekend.....what size holes did u drill in the bottom to secure it to the dock and what are "lag bolts"?

--slugg

georgemjr

Reaction score
Lag Bolts are basically oversized woodscrews with a hex head, galvanized to prevent rust. I think I used a 5/16th bolt 2 inches long, but wouldn't swear to it. I picked one that looked like it would do the trick and bought 4, 1 for each corner. I used washers as well, so that the bolt would not pull through the plasitc easily. If they want it badly enough to pull it loose and carry it up the dock, it's all theirs. I am not storing 100 dollar bills in it, only extra lines, cleaning products, bumpers and anchors...