Ignition switch

wlewis

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced an ignition switch on an a Freedom 225? Did you replace only the key switch or the rectangular panel assembly that contains both the key switch and the kill switch?

seasick

Reaction score
I don't know but if you remove the switch panel and look at the wring on the back, you will see how the actual switch connects to the rest of the parts (sounder/kill/etc). If the connections have connectors and the actual switch can be removed by unplugging connectors as opposed to cutting wires, then my guess is that the switch assemble is a separate part you can buy. It may also help to know the model or part number of the entire assembly

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Assuming it's the stock Yamaha switch, you can order either the guts (without the face plate) or the entire assembly.

It's a plug and play operation.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
As Parthery said, each piece is individual, replace what you need, plug and play. The panel stays, just unscrew the retaining nut.

20201215_185615.jpg

wlewis

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I've speculated it's the key switch without the entire assembly including the kill switch. I've looked at parts suppliers online and haven't seen much to indicate which switches are compatible with certain motors leading me to assume it is a generic Yamaha part for all engines, and thus unsure of the correct part number. I don't recall seeing the retainer nut shown in Ky Grady's picture, but will take a closer look. The nut should make it much easier to remove, perhaps allowing me not to have to contort myself into that small console to connect leads from the backside.

wlewis

Reaction score
Looking at it further, the switch does have to be removed from the rear so It does look like I'll have to limber up and squeeze into that little cubicle of a console. The Joys of boat ownership!

wlewis

Reaction score
Makes sense, but it’s weird that the nut is underneath the panel, yet the kill switch nut is on outside of panel.

wlewis

Reaction score
Bought the assembly rather than just the switch as it was only a few dollars more. Luckily, the connecting leads were long enough (just barely) to connect it from the front of the dash rather than having to access it from inside the small console. A few cranks indicate I might have solved my intermittent starting issue. I won't really know till next time I launch the boat and take it out. As info, the Sim Yamaha customer service rep Andy was very helpful.