Im back in a Grady

sraab928

Reaction score
Well I sold my 92 Dolphin last season. As you can see from my signature I am not in the shortage of boats department...lol. Anyway came across a great deal on a 1998 272 Sailfish so here I am again, a new (to me) Grady owner.

Here is a couple pics. She is paid for. Title in hand and I am having her picked up this weekend.

20090610_1202.jpg

20090610_1205.jpg

I will post more once I get her straightened out and in the water - Like all the boats I buy she has a few small issues to deal with - (bad fuel being the primary)

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Congrats. She's a beauty. And nothing like the feeling of owning; not owing :D

sraab928

Reaction score
Thanks Guys! Although I haven't left the foam behind - Still own all those boats :shock: (outright thank God :) )

I really enjoy working on them and of course using them. The Grady will be going in our slip down in Ocean City and will see regular ocean fishing trips. We are really looking forward to it.

sraab928

Reaction score
I have a very understanding wife. Two of the boats are major projects right now.

This is how my 19 Outrage looks this week.

20090527_1123.jpg

20090527_1127.jpg

This is how my 25 Outrage looks right now.

20090611_1214.jpg

20090610_1193.jpg

richie rich

Reaction score
OMG! you are a glutten for punishment...with all this work, when do you get to fish? You should buy your wife flowers every day.......

superboat5

Reaction score
Good luck with the boat

Did you had a good survey done to this boat?

sraab928

Reaction score
Yes I am gluten for punishment....lol I do take good care of my wife as well. I know how good I have it.

The boat checked out well. She has bad fuel. Motors have good compression. Stringers and transom are good. Floors are good. The main tank floor has a little give to it but probably has a few more years before needing to be recored.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Nice on the 98 Sailfish!

And 1998 was the first year the Sailfish running bottom went all the way astern, no more notched euro. Improves handling, lessens porposing, and more stern lift.

sraab928

Reaction score
Thanks Bob - Someone else just told me the same thing today. That was just dumb luck on my part. I assume it should ride differently than my 92 Dolphin. She was bracketed with twin 200's - Also was a SeaV2 hull. This boat just seems bigger overall and I like the transom.

I will be giving her some love over the summer and of course using her. She is getting picked up tomorrow afternoon - Then taken down to my mechanic to have the tanks pumped and motors gone through. New water pumps etc. They had great compression - Hoping to have in water for Fathers day....keep the fingers crossed.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Your euro transom is much heavier than the Dolphin butt, so I imagine you will feel a difference. Otherwise same SEAV2 hull as '92

I'm partial towards the Sailfish, Joey Weller himself tried to talk me out of my '92 for a trade to a newer Sail at the NY Show a few years ago, no way I told him, it's not for sale. He hesitated on his last attempt to say it wasn't SEAV2 - so go for a better ride, he he he - sorry Joey - it is.

I'm not a euro transom (Grady version) guy, so my affinity ends at 1993 model year, , when between the Dolphin and Sailfish, 6 different models were for sale with same hull.

sraab928

Reaction score
To be honest I am curious how she handles around the docks. Its took me a bit to get used to how the bracketed boat behaved in reverse. It may have been you who coached me into trimming the motors up to keep the props from pushing water at the transom. I assume this boat will behave more "normally" when it comes to that.

I did enjoy the ride of the Dolphin. I thought it rode very well. When you read all the crazy people on some other sights they always bash the Grady ride. I for one just dont see it.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The reason Grady gets bashed is the attitude of (some)owners.
The same few are quick to defend the product. Why I'll never know.
Thge presumption I guess is Gradys are for everyone, I don't think that way.

If somelese believes Gradys are overpriced and underperform, so what?
Unless you are working on commission, walk away from it.
There's better things to do with our limited time on the water.

sraab928

Reaction score
Got her out of the the previous owners yard. It was a hard move but well worth it. She is now at a marine service center to get the tanks pumped and motors looked over.

20090612_1224.jpg

20090613_1225.jpg

20090613_1227.jpg

20090613_1226.jpg

sraab928

Reaction score
Had her out about 10 miles offshore on Tuesday - call it our first shake down run. Logged a total of 50 miles - Conditions were a little less than ideal but the boat ran great. Caught a few small Sea Bass and one 17" Fluke. (18" is keeper in NJ)

The boat performed well. Winds were kicking and I was glad I had the enclosure for the hard top.

P6300013.jpg

As you can see I need to repaint the port motor cover.... seems to be factory defect - the paint just peeled off - The other cover is fine. Its really hard to get good pictures of actual conditions. The wind was blowing in around 15 to 20 knots.

P6300017.jpg

Here is one of the little guys.

P6300021.jpg

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
But they're tasty little buggers, I like them more than fluke.