Improving the stereo on my boat

ksgoldman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I have a 2010 Grady White Tournament 275 (now called the Freedom 275) 27' Dual Console that has Kenwood KMR700U factory stereo with two speakers in the bow area and two speakers amidship. The challenge that I have is that when running the boat, I can't really hear the stereo very well because the two midship speakers are at knee level (and I drive the boat standing most of the time). The port midship speaker is too far away (just given the beam of the boat) and the starboard speaker (where I drive from) is pointing at my knees.

One option is to put an amplifier in and turn up the volume. The other would be to try to add another set of speakers higher up in the helm area (which is not easy to do as there are no vertical mounting surfaces and it doesn't make sense to mount on the horizontal as they could get filled with water).

Ideally if there were a small form factor surface mount speaker, that might work to be mounted on the horizontal inside the windshield.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

StephenH

Reaction score
Website
www.advantagedrainage.com
I am replacing the stereo in my Regal 320 this week. I wanted a spectacular quality sound, with big volume to compensate for wind noise at 35 mph in the cockpit area...My first thought was to go with the big Klipsh horn speakers, and to mount them to the arch, but on measuring, it appeared people would be bumping their heads on them, so instead of this, I bought "two pairs" of the M770-CCS JL audio speakers ( component speakers that mount in the arch--separate woofers and tweeters). The double system will increase bass so much I doubt I will need to add a subwoofer, but if needed, I have a great place for this. To power the speakers, I wanted lots of clean power, but did not want to be adding lots more drain to my batteries..so I decided to go with a high end Home Reciever by Rotel. It will be much cleaner in sound than marine amps could ever be, and it will be powered by 110, since I have a generator on the boat, and I run this whenever I run the boat anyway. with my radar, GPS, vhs radio, and all the other electronic toys on the batteries already, I think this is a safer way to go.

For music source, I decided that while running in larger waves, a CD player would not be ideal, and that if I could get a high enough quality flash drive based MP3 player ( but use lossless Windows media audio format) , I could avoid the inertial issues a CD player would face. I ended up with a 80 gig Zune, with a gold cable which will go to the reciever.
The speakers will be installed on Friday morning, so I can report later this weekend if my ideas are all wet, or if this works as desired :hmm

REBThunderroad

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Whatever you do go with the JL Marine Audio products. The "M" series not "MX" The 7.7 JL speakers are incredible if you run it with one of there amps. I have a pair of 6.5" JL speakers that have been on my boat in the cockpit for 8 years. I also run two sets of 7.7's and a 10" sub with two JL AMPS. JL Amp has lasted 8 years as well.

I have a Marlin 300 and have an overhead e-box (which doesn't help out) and two co axial 7.7's mounted by my head. It is awesome! If you have anyway to mount higher probably canisters you will win at cruise.

You cant wipe the smile off my crews face when we are flying with the music on loud! At the time I sell my boat the boat it will sell because of the stereo....

Rob