In hull transducer location

Grady Hunter

Reaction score
My wife and I just purchased a 2007 GW 330 Express and an M260 in hull transducer coupled to a DSM 300 and E120. The problem is that once we get the boat on plane the read out becomes intermittant at best. At idle it shows a good read out. I contacted the previous owner and he indicated that it did not work well for him either. I am assuming that the transducer is mounted too far forward as it is in the hull juxtaposed to the shower sump which is about midships. I have looked for a possible relocation further aft but no luck. I am guessing that I am going to have to buy a different transducer. Any thoughts or suggestions???

Ken

Moxsea

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
ken, for a big boat there really isnt much room for the ducer. I recently installed thru hull B260 in front of the generator on the port side. if yours is near the raw water and sanitary scoop it might be too close. I dont think the M260 will fit in the generator area with the structural members in the way. The thru hull for sure will fit in that location.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I installed a M260 on my 06 Marlin on the starboard side, approximately 24 inches from the transom (no generator) in between the stringers. I am pleased with the results after one year (this includes a few canyon runs). I also asked for opinions on this board and another board, a few people recommended placing the transducer near the shower mid-ships, but I was reluctant

If I were you I would consider purchasing a new tub for the existing M260 transducer and install the new tub in a better location closer to the transom. Give it a try and see if it meets your expectations. This way you're not stuck buying another $700 transducer as you can buy just the tank for about $140.

Hope this helps.

Grady Hunter

Reaction score
Transducer location

We finally determined that there just is not any room anywhere else on this boat to re-locate the M260 so we decided to purchase a Yamaha Triducer to interface with the Command Link Gauges. I believe that I can locate the triducer near the AC raw water pick up. I plan on placing it about 4 or 5 inches inboard (almost on the keel) and about 5 inches aft of the AC pick up. I hope that the poximity to the AC pickup will not adversely affect the performance of the Triducer.

This will give us a second depth sounder plus water temp.

FastZilla

Reaction score
My M260 (DSM 300) is mounted in front of the shower sump (there is a bulkhead between the mid-bildge and the shower sump bildge area). I noticed that when on plane that any time air gets betweent he hull where the xducer is and the water that is ceases to read. Also I have noticed that in shallow marinas and the inter coastal that I have to manually crank the gain down otherwise it dosen't read either. I got fed up with it and insalled a 300w xducer in-hull (puck) attached to a stand alone ST40 display. Works great for shallow water and is much more resistant to air under the hull (probably because is is mounted almost to the transom) but craps out at depths over 150 ft. Serves my purpose and cost was around $500 installed.

Still won't solve the sea water temp which I'll be installing a sensor during the next haul-out.