Inatalling Minn Kota rrolling motor and a grill on a GW 330 Exps

gsalvatori

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Hi there,

I just purchased a 2005 GW 330 express and I am dying to finalize basic maintenance routine before starting to use it here in Italy where I live

Among other small improvements I really wanted to do two things:
1. Installing a trolling motor on the Bow
2. INstalling a grill where the sink is at the moment.

Regarding the motor I have found the latest and biggest model of Minn Kota could do the work.
It is a Riptide terrova, 87" long shaft. I know it is a bit of a stretch since the boat is very heavy, yet I hope it could still serve as a virtual anchor or allow me to troll at 0.5 knots speed

With regards to the grill I would like to do something like you have as a standard feature a newer models of GW 330, where a Grill is installed in the same place where older gradies have the sink

Any kind of advice would be highly appreciated

As additional information I do have a 5Kw Kohler Generator installed
Looking forward to hearing from you ,

Thank you
Gabriele

Last edited:

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I've thought about a trolling device also, but in most conditions, I don't believe it would work very well given the weight and sail area of the 330. At the very least it would require a 36 volt source. Any wind or current would likely overpower a trolling motor and with any seas the prop would likely come out of the water when the bow rises, if bow mounted. As for the grill, I assume you mean the cockpit sink, not the galley sink. One thing to think about is that any grill of useful size would most likely use a lot of AC power from your generator. Propane is difficult to install since it is hazardous in confined spaces. Welcome aboard!

gsalvatori

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I've thought about a trolling device also, but in most conditions, I don't believe it would work very well given the weight and sail area of the 330. At the very least it would require a 36 volt source. Any wind or current would likely overpower a trolling motor and with any seas the prop would likely come out of the water when the bow rises, if bow mounted. As for the grill, I assume you mean the cockpit sink, not the galley sink. One thing to think about is that any grill of useful size would most likely use a lot of AC power from your generator. Propane is difficult to install since it is hazardous in confined spaces. Welcome aboard!

Dear Bill
thank you so much for your prompt reply.
As far as the Minn Kota, that's exactly what I tought, having said that, I am open to play the "ginny pig" here...
Talking to a friend today, he told me he would like to purchase exactly the same trolling motor for a smaller boat, so the deal is, I will buy it and try it on my 330, and in case it doesn't work, he will take it.
I will let you know how it goes once I test it!!

as far as the grill, sorry for the confusion, yes it's the cockpit sink, do you have an idea of which brand/model is installed on newer GW's? I can check the specs to see how much power is needed and see if my 5Kw generator can hold it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chutch

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Dear Bill
thank you so much for your prompt reply.
As far as the Minn Kota, that's exactly what I tought, having said that, I am open to act as play the "ginny pig" here...
Talking to a friend today, he told me he would like to purchase exactly the same trolling motor for a smaller boat, so the deal is, I will buy it and try it on my 330, and in case it doesn't work, he will take it.
I will let you know how it goes once I test it!!

as far as the grill, sorry for the confusion, yes it's the cockpit sink, do you have an idea of which brand/model is installed on newer GW's? I can check the specs to see how much power is needed and see if my 5Kw generator can hold it.
Don't know what grill they are installing, but you can contact GW customer service and they can tell you.

Dhirsh

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
Most boats your size go with a Rhodan 96” shaft. Youre going to need the 36 volt system and the longer shaft for it to stay in the water in my opinion. It’s not cheap but its the right way to do it the first time. If you‘ve never fished with a Rhodan, its a game changer.

MA208

Reaction score
I believe the factory grills are Kenyon. I would love to do the same thing on my Marlin, but it's likely to be a custom job and pretty pricey. The grills themselves are pretty cheap. Here's a company: https://www.nauticaldesigninc.com

IMG_0494.jpg
IMG_0479.jpg

gsalvatori

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
That's exactly what I need!! Thank you. Will try to contact them

gsalvatori

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Most boats your size go with a Rhodan 96” shaft. Youre going to need the 36 volt system and the longer shaft for it to stay in the water in my opinion. It’s not cheap but its the right way to do it the first time. If you‘ve never fished with a Rhodan, its a game changer.
Thank you for the recommendation!

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
As above, the grill is a Kenyon - on my 2002 330 I looked at doing this, although the truth is I find the sink to be pretty useful. I did some basic measuring, compared to my boat the newer boats had a slightly larger / more square opening than my 330 with original sink. My recollection is that the grill would be theoretically possible but not an easy drop in because the lid was slightly smaller than you really needed it to be.

Eli78

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Hello
I will like to know how did you do with the trolling motor installed on the 330 express since my brother and I are immerse in the same protect righ now and unsure if a Minn kota 112 36v 87” shaft will be able to handle the weight and size of the boat
Any response will be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Eli78

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Hello Capt
I will like to know how did you do with the trolling motor installed on the 330 express if you ever did since my brother and I are immerse in the same protect righ now and unsure if a Minn kota 112 36v 87” shaft will be able to handle the weight and size of the boat
Any response will be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
I have a 335 and the grill is Kenyon and my 5kw Panda is more than sufficient for the grill. I looked at my consumption chart and concluded that I can run many of the appliances at the same time, maybe not all but ex microwave and grill I would not use simultaneously out of caution.

On trolling motors I cannot say anything except that the new controls have the trolling functions and stay etc incorporated in the joystick etc..

Ciao
H