INFO needed: 1990 GW 232 Gulfstream

biggarfish

Reaction score
Will be looking at buying a 1990 232 and would like to know from previous/current owners of this particular model if there is anything I should be paying close attention to when inspecting the hull/pod etc. These boats are like "hens teeth" here in Canada and I'm just trying to cover my bases on this vessel. Thanks.

artodea

Reaction score
They're great boats (though admittedly, I'm slightly biased). A 27 year old boat will need a thorough review and hopefully she was well maintained. Not necessarily 232-specific, considerations are electrical wiring, fuel tanks, hoses, bilge pumps, fuel lines, moisture intrusion, etc.

232-specific considerations (based on my experience with a 1996 model):
  • Thru-hulls at the waterline are plastic and will need to be replaced if not already done. They might appear to be fine but once you take a wrench to remove you'll find they snap right off
    Cockpit drain hoses do not last forever
    The hull sides (not bottom) are balsa cored and any deterioration/moisture intrusion can be found with a plastic hammer
    The bulkhead between the helm and cabin is plywood covered with formica which will appear just fine even though it is rotting inside (moisture wicks up from the base). Crawl under there and take a good look and/or remove a panel or two and look around.
    Transom issues - if there are any you should be able to see it. Look for any flex/movement of the bracket

Good luck!
Art

biggarfish

Reaction score
Thanks Art, that's great information. Be looking at this baby in a couple of hours.
Rick

Fishtales

Reaction score
suggest you spend the money and get a survey. yea, it will stink if you find stuff and you have to walk but it is far superior to spend a little to save a lot later.

biggarfish

Reaction score
Mechanic first to check out the motors, 2004 Suzuki 4strokes140's (don't know much about them, a friend had one for 3 years, he liked it), then the survey on the hull. Did as much checking in the storage building with a flashlight, couldn't see anything of concern, couldn't open all the access hatches though. It would appear the transom where the pod attaches is foremost. Any other advice will be happy to receive.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Tanks, transom are the big ones. Sometimes the decks over the tanks get week and need attention, no big deal. Some of the hatches need attention at that age, also no big deal. a TRANSOM would be the biggest concern. If stored (winters) properly over the years it should be fine. Stand on the motors and bounce them with all your weight- this will often show you if there is a transom problem.