Install Marinco 76030 Intelligent Wiper Switch - How To?

JLR

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
I have a 2013 Freedom 285. I want to swap out the wiper rocker switch with the Marinco Intelliegnt Wiper Switch https://www.marinco.com/en/p/76030/Intelligent-Wiper-Switch. However, reviews indicate that the wiring instructions are vague. Does anyone know how the existing rocker switch is wired and whether the Marinco switch is a drop in replacement. Not looking for a project nor to have to cut any holes. Thanks.

seasick

Reaction score
Looking at the operational and installation instructions, I think there may be challenges installing the switch. I am pretty savvy at electrics and believe that the switch can be made to work on most wiper motors but the actual connections and installation might be tricky. It seems to me that the available existing wires would have their connectors cut off and new terminals crimped on.
You need to determine if you have a one or two speed motor, a parking signal wire, and what existing connections are for the back lighting. I am not sure how that lighting is supported by the new switch. It may not be but does have its own light that appears to be dimmable.

Although I am confident that I could figure it out, it could be a complex task if you are not well experienced in how 12 volts boat systems work and are wired. If you do have a washer feature and it is on a separate swish, to move that to the new switch will require disabling the existing switch and relocating some wires to the new switch

If your existing wiper system is one speed, does not automatically park the wiper when turned off and doesn't have a washer function, the only new feature you will get is the intermittent wiping. What I can't answer is where the wiper sits when in intermittent mode if you don't have a park feature and connection on the existing wiper motor.

Maybe the task is simpler than I am making it look but I am trying to identify what roadblocks you might run into.

And yes, your original question on the existing wiring and if anyone has a schematic is noted. That would help. If you can get to the wiper motor and look at the wiring, that would help identify colors and knowing what pins on the existing switch those wires connect to would help identify their function.
If you can identify the make and model of the wiper motor, that might help locate a wiring diagram. I looked up some wiper motor generic schematics and they all supported a parking signal and a two speed motor. That would make the new wiring relatively simple.

It looks like a 'fun' project.

Last edited:

JLR

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
Thank you. As far as I know, I do have a parking feature. I do not have a wash feature and the switch is lighted. Also, as far as I know, it is a one speed motor since my switch is a simple on off rocker. Since I am away from the boat, I do not have access to the back of the switch or the identity of the wiper motor. Cutting and crimping is no problem. I hope that helps.

seasick

Reaction score
Thank you. As far as I know, I do have a parking feature. I do not have a wash feature and the switch is lighted. Also, as far as I know, it is a one speed motor since my switch is a simple on off rocker. Since I am away from the boat, I do not have access to the back of the switch or the identity of the wiper motor. Cutting and crimping is no problem. I hope that helps.
There will be two wires that get juice from the switch; the motor run signal and the park signal. There will be no connection for Fast Speed since you have a one speed washer motor. There will be no washer connection either. I think you should be able to figure it out with a little effort and a test lamp.

There may be a few more wires connected to the old switch; There may be a backlight feature . That will get replaced wit the dimmer feed I think. I you are going to remove/swing out the panel, try to get a lot of pictures of the back wiring. Often the spade connectors will pop off, especially when the panels are older and the wires are stiffer.

Good luck and make sure you post a report!

Fishtales

Reaction score
IDK, my input is why bother. I can't stand intelligent wipers on my vehicle so I doubt I'd want them on a boat. Just my 2 pennies.

JLR

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
I just checked the back of the existing switch. It has four wires going to it. One is a negative(black), another is for the backlight(blue), another is an orange and another is an orange with a black stripe. My guess is the orange with the black strip goes to the motor and the solid orange is 12v in. Make sense. If so, there appears to be no separate wire for a park function.

seasick

Reaction score
I am not sure. Can you get to the connector at the wiper motor? I think you are correct about the solid orange. That is the standard color for the accessory feed. It should have 12v live on it whenever the battery switch(es) are on.
It will then be pretty east to verify that the or/bk wire on the switch gets 12v when the rocker switch is activated.
I do not understand how Park would work. Are you sure you have a park feature>
If you turn on the wiper and when it is in the middle of its swing, turn off the switch, the wiper will either return to park position or stop in its tracks, no park function.

JLR

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
I cannot. And, there is a definitely a park feature but I believe it is called a coast to park feature so that after the power is off, she always goes to the same spot.

seasick

Reaction score
So that makes me surmise that there is power applied to the park lead to enable the motor to rotate to the park position. If so, the motor needs power but you can't have power on the motor lead. So the park lead must get power from somewhere else. Maybe it is permanently wired to the accessory 12 volts (where the old switch gets power for the wiping action.
Is it possible that the orange/black wire is connected to the input power terminal n the old switch?

seasick

Reaction score
I LOOKED UP A TYPICAL WIPER MOTOR SKEMATIC AND THERE IS A 'PERMANENT' 12V CONNECTION TO THE PARK TERMINAL.
oops, excuse the capital letters.

The source should be the same circuit that feeds the wiper motor. In other words, the12v from the fuse or breaker block, is spilt into two feeds; one to the wiper switch and one directly to the park lead to the motor.

JLR

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
Here is a picture of the back of the switch. As you are looking at the picture, it is the switch on the right. According to Carling's website, power in is where the orange wire is. At least that's what I think.

Attachments

• 962F15A7-E33A-4F4B-A0DA-71F3BADD40EC.jpeg
    962F15A7-E33A-4F4B-A0DA-71F3BADD40EC.jpeg
    659.6 KB · Views: 8

seasick

Reaction score
It still doesn't make sense yet.
On the breaker to the left, I see a thick orange wire that I assume is the main power feed to the panel. There would be a wire that connects to another lug on the breaker that goes to the switch. Can you see if that is the case?
I understand the top two wires being ground and courtesy light power.
Verify that there are 4 distinct lugs on the switch.
The switch if it has 4 lugs is a plain single pole single throw type.I don't understand how the park feature works electrically.
By the way, what is that orange wire on the right that doesn't seem to be connected to anything?

JLR

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
Correct. Only four lugs. Not sure about the other orange wire.

JLR

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
I bailed on the new switch and simply relocated the old switch to a more convenient location.