Install of electronics package

capeman

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
I've purchased a new Freedom 335 and expect delivery in early June. I am now working up my electronics wish list and believe I have it more or less nailed down (thanks to all who have helped via other post).

That said, I have to now work with my dealer to purchase and install the gear. One challenge I am facing is that I receive a very large discount on Garmin products as my company has a strong partnership with them. So, I am wondering how best to work w/ my dealer to minimize my expense here. I am assuming the dealer will want to sell me the equipment (+margin) plus install fees. I am interested in install fees only as I want to purchase the electronics at a steep discount. Given the list of gear below, does anyone have an idea on a reasonable price I should pay for the installation only? If I can understand the install costs then it puts me in a better position to negotiate a fair price overall. I want to work with my dealer as they are reputable, stand behind their work, and do an excellent job.

GPSMAP 8616xsv
GPSMAP 8616
Reactor 40 SBW Corepak For Helm Master
GMR Fantom 24
GT51M-TH
Airmar B175HW (12 Tilt )
VHF 210 w/ AIS
GXM 53

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would think that since you have purchased a boat from them that they haven't had to floor, I would figure out what the total dollar amount you can get all your equipment for through your company and explain that you expect him to do a "price match". Then you can agree on a rate for the install man hours. With a purchase that large you should be treated differently than if an owners boat is brought in off the street.

seasick

Reaction score
This is an interesting dilemma. I suggest you ask your dealer for a written estimate for the whole job, listing all the equipment you want. Ask if they would consider doing the install only with you providing the parts. A third option is to contract a third party marine electronics installer.
My gut feeling is that you are asking for problems: First of all if the dealer does install only and you run into issues after the fact, who is responsible? You may not order all the 'nuts' and 'bolts' needed ( network parts, connectors taps etc ) and the dealer will surely make you pay for those unforeseen glitches.
I assume you paid a pretty penny for the boat. Is this a good time to try and save a few bucks?

If the dealer gives you a breakdown on item costs, you may be able to determine what premium you have to pay for the dealer to do the whole job. Then decide if it is worth it.

capeman

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
This is an interesting dilemma. I suggest you ask your dealer for a written estimate for the whole job, listing all the equipment you want. Ask if they would consider doing the install only with you providing the parts. A third option is to contract a third party marine electronics installer.
My gut feeling is that you are asking for problems: First of all if the dealer does install only and you run into issues after the fact, who is responsible? You may not order all the 'nuts' and 'bolts' needed ( network parts, connectors taps etc ) and the dealer will surely make you pay for those unforeseen glitches.
I assume you paid a pretty penny for the boat. Is this a good time to try and save a few bucks?

If the dealer gives you a breakdown on item costs, you may be able to determine what premium you have to pay for the dealer to do the whole job. Then decide if it is worth it.

I do want the dealer to purchase, install, and warranty the equipment. That said, I am pretty handy and very technical. I could likely install the electronics, but I am willing to pay a professional who does this for a living as they have the experience and I don't. There is high value in paying for that experience when it comes to cutting holes in your boat. As for operating or dealing with electronics issues I think that is in my wheelhouse given my technical experience. So, dealer warranty and support less important to me. The most significant dilemma here is that I receive a very substantial discount in the many thousands vs hundreds of dollars. Have a few more items on my wish list to purchase...

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I would ask the dealer for an estimate on the entire electronics package you want including installation. Once you get that estimate then come back to the dealer saying that you would like to provide all of the components and have them just do the installation. See what they say as it never hurts to ask. I did this years ago with my first Grady(although it was a used boat purchased through a dealer). The electronics tech then did a basic walk through with the electronics. Everything worked as advertised and I had no problems which I suppose may have complicated things, but I guess I got lucky. Not sure if your dealer would do this or not, but this was my experience.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It depends on the dealer, but a lot of them are used to working with outside electronics installers. In any case, I doubt that the dealer would be insulted if you got the electronics on your own. A lot of folks do that. But have the dealer install the through hull transducer since he is the one that's going to cover the hull warranty. If somebody else cuts the hole you could have a problem.

BTW, you will need a 20 degree B175, not a 12 degree.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
They are like every other contractor.
My guess is they will quote list price on the equipment plus their estimate of total hours at a set hourly rate.
They probably get a discount or other incentive from Garmin or the distributor they buy from. They know what that discount is and that margin figures into the amount of labor they quote.
They get some "room" in their labor quote.
Nothing ticks off a contractor more than quoting a whole job and then having the homeowner...uh..boat owner... come back with "well I'll buy my own cabinets" after they quoted the job.

Whatever you do, be upfront. like... Hey, I can get a big xx% discount from Garmin thru my company, what can we do with that?

crabdaddy

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I vote for you doing it yourself. If you are technical, handy and have some patience you will save money along the way since that seems to be your goal. You know it will be done right, you will know where all the wires run to aid in troubleshooting and it give you a huge sense of accomplishment. The only down side I see I'm sure you will be itching to use your boat as soon as you get it since it will be prime boating season.

My TW dealer sold me my electronics at their cost but wanted no part on the install. They recommended an outside contractor for the job.

What I did and might be a good in-between for you was I hired the electronics contractor to work along side me to help speed things along, get advice and answer any questions I had. I took a week off work and we knocked the majority of it out. He's based down near Annapolis who I would send you his info.

Good choice on the Airmar, was going to recommend that in the other thread.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd be honest and state the deal you have and the desire to purchase your own and have them installed at a fixed price. Would have been better if you closed the deal with this, but the firm has made enough on the boat and should be willing to work with you. All they are going to do is sub the work out and mark it up.