Install shore power

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
Hi there, I have a new to me 2013 freedom 285.
For some reason the previous owner didn't get the shore power option. Why is it even an option on a boat this big?
Anyways...where is the best spot on the boat to add it? I'm thinking towards the transom near the battery switches but wondering if anyone has a thought of anywhere else.
Thanks!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Not everybody has access to electric - hence the reason it's an option. Plus, it keeps the base price of the boat lower (although, granted, it's a small slice of the pie). After all, it's technically a day boat - not a cruiser-style boat with obvious needs for power.

I assume you're asking where to put the power inlet and main breaker? The good thing here is that you can put where it best suits YOUR needs. It really makes no difference where it goes.

Don't forget things like the galvanic isolator.

What kinds of things are you planning on using it for? If you're just charging batteries that would be a waste of time and money to install shore power.

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
Not everybody has access to electric - hence the reason it's an option. Plus, it keeps the base price of the boat lower (although, granted, it's a small slice of the pie). After all, it's technically a day boat - not a cruiser-style boat with obvious needs for power.

I assume you're asking where to put the power inlet and main breaker? The good thing here is that you can put where it best suits YOUR needs. It really makes no difference where it goes.

Don't forget things like the galvanic isolator.

What kinds of things are you planning on using it for? If you're just charging batteries that would be a waste of time and money to install shore power.
Yeah pretty much just to keep the batteries charged and extend their life.
And maybe to have the radio and lights on when hanging out having a beer.
Thanks for the reply.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yeah pretty much just to keep the batteries charged and extend their life.
And maybe to have the radio and lights on when hanging out having a beer.
Thanks for the reply.
Sounds like all you need is a basic battery charger - lights and radio are all DC items - no AC needed. Check out the ProMariner's ProNautic series - they're an excellent charger without breaking the bank. Marinco, as an example, makes a simple power inlet for a regular, 15a extension cord.

JLR

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
I have the same boat. I too added shore power.It is really just used to connect to my battery charger. I added the outlet under the gunnel on the port side as far aft as possible. I added the battery charger in the bilge area on the starboard aft side. It all works out quite well.

seasick

Reaction score
Did that model hull have an AC switch panel even if it didn't have shore power?
Other than the desire for an onboard charger, would there be other 110V devices that might currently (pardon the pun) run off an inverter?

JLR

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
Mine does not. I am not sure about the skinny on inverters.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If you're going to add actual shore power, you might as well add an outlet or two. But other than that, it would be a waste of money and time to add shore power if all that's needed is a battery charger. Heck, some battery chargers don't even need to be hard wired - they come with a plug, making it even easier... whether plugging in directly or using a small/inexpensive cable outlet.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I use a 3 prong adapter on the shore power post and a heavy duty extension cord to plug in the charger. I haven't used my shore power connection in 3 years.
I removed the refridgerator and microwave so there is no point

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
i pulled all ac appliances from my boat. left the wire and outlets in place just in case i add an inverter later. all the ac i need is a 15 amp circuit to power battery charger. i am very happy with my pronautic 3 bank distributive charger. galvanic isolater is a must. not sure how your boat is kept, but if on lift or at dock i would put input plug on dock ac supply side