install sounder/chartplotter - DIY?

boslaw

Reaction score
I have a 1997 208 adventure with a Garmin GPS unit that is just as old. The sounder died this year and needs to be replaced. I'm considering a GPSMAP 546S but wondering how hard the install will be to do myself. I assume I can just fish the new wires along the same path as the old GPS wires, and splice the new red and black cables into the same location as the old. Is this more difficult than it seems? I plan to mount the transducer to the same location as the old (although my boat currently has 2 transducers and I assume the new units only come with one. . .)

I'm bummed that the old unit didn't die at the end of last season because the boat's already in the water and I hate to have to pull it just to put on new transducers, but I don't feel comfortable without an operational sounder/chartplotter on board.

Thanks for any tips/advice/etc.

Andre

seasick

Reaction score
Making connection under the dash on a 208 is not too hard. Use the old wires to pull the new harness. Running the new transducer cable may be a lot harder or it may not be. It depends on how packed the rigging tube is. Use the old cable to pull a poly rope to be used to pull the new ducer cable. If you cam ,pull a second rope along with the new cable and leave it in the tube just in case you need to run something else in the future.
The last challenge might be the transducer connector. It might be larger than the current hole in the transom. If you have to drill a larger hole, make sure you seal it very well with epoxy and then sealant. Those transoms are notorious for water intrusion issues.

boslaw

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. The actual chartplotter install was indeed very easy. I have to pull the boat out of the water to add the new transducer. I'm hoping the hardest part is drilling a larger wire hole and sealing the old ducer mount holes.

richie rich

Reaction score
When you pull the old ducer off and you find the hole is wet....use a heat gun with a small tip or make one from copper tubing and dry out the hole before sealing with epoxy.....then mount accordingly.