Installing a gasket around a floor well in an 86 204c???

timo14

Reaction score
I'd like to install some sort of gasket and latch in this well...

100_3412Small.jpg

100_3406Small.jpg

It's a stock well. It is almost useless because of all the crap that ends up getting down there. Dirt, pine needles, leaves and any other crap that floats around on the deck ends up in the drain. I keep a pair of fenders and a lunch anchor in there now, but they are both absolutely filthy when i need them.

Anyone have any idea of how to put a gasket and latch on it?

Another option I'm considering is finding a large aftermarket hatch, cutting the floor and well out entirely and installing the new hatch. I've done it before....

HatchHole4Medium.jpg

Thanks

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I know what you mean, that is a usless well for food or beverages and it only collects crap and dirt like you said. That stuff ends up in the bilge as there is not drain out for it.
I was actually thinking about cleaning it and sealing it up with caulk and screws. But was afraid that F&G in my area would force me to open it to look for illegal fish.

Let me know how you make out with that sealed hatch if you put it in.

timo14

Reaction score
The more I think about it and look at the photo... I think I'm going to put in an aftermarket hatch. This one looks like it'll fit...

http://www.beckson.com/hatches.html

Scroll down to the HT1821.

I'm going to do some measuring when I get home to see how it looks. The hatch is $110 with shipping. I'd probably spend half of that trying to gasket the existing, but I'd end up with an inferior system I'm sure.

If I need to reinforce the deck, so be it. I have all kinds of teak to use up.

I'll keep you posted...

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I don't see why you have to gasket it, I used to put my small coleman cooler down there, same goes for your fenders. 2nd anchor may work too. Can work as an ice box for drinks, just dump ice down there and there you go.

If you don't have a soft top or hardtop to keep rain from going down there or you washdown that area, then don't put things that can get wet, like lines, fishing gear, etc.

It's actually a very big and deep area for use, but just like livewells and fishboxes, don't put anything in there that can't get wet.

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I put my house battery in there. Built a deck to raise it off the floor and mounted battery box. Works out pretty well. Your right tho, alot of crap does end up in there.

timo14

Reaction score
I ordered a hatch. It's gonna take a little finessing... but I'm sure I'll get it to work out. I'll keep you all posted.

the Mother Ship

Reaction score
I have a 1988 204c that could use a gasket for the forward well. I believe this is the source of most the fresh water that collects in the bilge after a rain storm. Did you find and gasket material that might work? I like your idea of installing a new hatch cover and am awaiting to see how it works out for you. Will the starboard side cabin door clear the top of the new hatch cover? On our boat the clearance between the door bottom and deck is very close.

timo14

Reaction score
I ordered a hatch, but it's on backorder. As soon as i get it i'll let you know how the install goes. I'll probably wait till winter to put it in though.

As far as height, it's gonna be close. Worst case is that I'll have to trim the doors down a little... no big deal.

Tim