Installing a windlass

FLWhaler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Considering putting a windlass on my 2003 228. Trying to get up the courage to do it myself or should I contract this out to someone who knows what they are doing:) Looking for advise.

Reactions: PNW_Drifter

seasick

Reaction score
It can be quite challenging a job especially if you have to modify a locker lid. What does you bow look like today? Do you have a pulpit or anchor roller? I don't know your skill level and that will make a big difference. The first step is to see who has done it ( which is what you are doing here:))
If you are near marinas try looking for similar 228s to see what the factory option looks like Check out photos for 228s for sale ( although you may not find a lot on the market)
Note that you need some experience in electrical wiring and conductor sizing. If the boat was pre wired for a windlass that can be a big help but note that many windlasses draw a lot of current and your wiring may be undersized.
There may be some videos on the internet. I will have to see if I can find any.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
hehehe...its just holes and wire...;)

I have a box of parts for that project that has to get done before May. I'm using a capstan (powerwinch 300). Opted for that because I tend to have to cut the anchor line and re-splice on occasion:rolleyes:

Most have a Lewmar H700 or V700. You might have to remove the anchor hatch and build a mounting place. I've seen some mount to the hatch...seems sketchy...

You need at least 8 awg wire for the power. There may be 10awg wire for a solenoid already run on your Grady.

Reactions: PNW_Drifter

seasick

Reaction score
The round trip cable run from the battery locker to the anchor locker could be 50 feet or close to that. The cable size for the V700 would be 6 gauge.
Take a look at the Lewmar installation instructions and see if you feel comfortable

Of course those instructions don't address the work needed on the locker cutouts, mods and reinforcements. The horizontal version of the 700 may be a better match. I am not sure.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd get someone to install if in your shoes. Ensure an 8 plait rode with at least the length of boat on chain. I have 1/2 8 plait and 1/4 inch chain and the Lewmar windlass has been great.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I have the 700 Lewmar on my 2013 228G. I bought the boat with it fitted, not sure who it was fitted by. Have a look at the following pictures, look on the net and you will find how to fit it then decide if that's something you can/want to do yourself.

The pinkish colour is reflection from the boat cover..
Let me know if you need to know anything else or more pics
1641468643144.jpeg
1641468666593.jpeg
1641468715778.jpeg
1641468787249.jpeg
1641468823513.jpeg

seasick

Reaction score
Looks very nice. As I suspected the horizontal windlass is the better option.
A comment about line and chain: Not all 1/4 inch chain is the right style for the Lewmar. It has to be 1/4 inch G4 spec. If you are going to spend as much a it will cost for the product and the install, I suggest you buy the Lewmar prespliced chain and line and avoid the 'foreign' made cheapo offerings. Nnot that there aren't some decent vendors that will cost less but for a new install, don't be penny wise and pound foolish

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
This was my install from a year or so ago on my '04 228. I took wrxhoon's pics and location and moved mine as far back on the pulpit as I could go. I also purchased the rode and chain from Lewmar to go with the windlass. Lewmar Pro-Fish 700.

20200711_162422.jpg20200906_174821.jpg20200907_131433.jpg20200907_131450.jpg20200907_142720.jpg20201017_142816.jpg20201017_104123.jpg20201017_102657.jpg

seasick

Reaction score
Looks nice except for that bolt with the power cables tie wrapped to it. Since the cables are in contact with the bolt and especially the threads, vibrations will result in abrasion of the insulation. If both sheaths wear all the way to the copper conductors, you will have one heck of a short. A better approach is to use a plastic cable bushing with a hole large enough to slip onver the bolt. Then secure that with a second nut.
I might also spray a sealant onto the contactor (relay) terminals to reduce the buildup of corrosion.. Sorry for being a nudge.

FLWhaler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Ky Grady I remember you showing this and this is just about exactly what I'm wanting to do. Mine is an 03 228 so it should be about the same. Any issues with the chain tearing up the fiberglass from the inside when deploying the anchor?

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Looks very nice. As I suspected the horizontal windlass is the better option.
A comment about line and chain: Not all 1/4 inch chain is the right style for the Lewmar. It has to be 1/4 inch G4 spec. If you are going to spend as much a it will cost for the product and the install, I suggest you buy the Lewmar prespliced chain and line and avoid the 'foreign' made cheapo offerings. Nnot that there aren't some decent vendors that will cost less but for a new install, don't be penny wise and pound foolish
The gypsy on mine says , 6mm, 7mm and 1/4". She currently has 7mm, this is how she came from USA.

dstarok

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you aren't installing the foot switches next to the windless, amazon has a remote control
that I have purchased and installed. Its only about $41 and works great. Definitely nice to have if you're having any trouble raising your anchor. The Lewmar version is about $350-$400

seasick

Reaction score
The gypsy on mine says , 6mm, 7mm and 1/4". She currently has 7mm, this is how she came from USA.
The 6,mm,7mm, and 1/4 inch refers to the diameter of the link material.. The G4 spec defines the link inner length, outer length, width of link and thickness of link. There are many types of 1/4 chain but many are not G4 size. If the links are two long, the gypsy will have issues. If I remember correctly, the inner length of a 1/4 G4 link is just about .8 inches

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Ky Grady I remember you showing this and this is just about exactly what I'm wanting to do. Mine is an 03 228 so it should be about the same. Any issues with the chain tearing up the fiberglass from the inside when deploying the anchor?

No sir. I also sealed the inside of the hole with epoxy before I mounted everything up.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
The 6,mm,7mm, and 1/4 inch refers to the diameter of the link material.. The G4 spec defines the link inner length, outer length, width of link and thickness of link. There are many types of 1/4 chain but many are not G4 size. If the links are two long, the gypsy will have issues. If I remember correctly, the inner length of a 1/4 G4 link is just about .8 inches
I'm aware of that but I was surprised she could handle 3 different sizes chain. 6mm G4 inner length is 18.8mm, 1/4" G4 is .845".
I was also surprised that the chain diameter was 7mm. ( coming from imperial USA)

seasick

Reaction score
I'm aware of that but I was surprised she could handle 3 different sizes chain. 6mm G4 inner length is 18.8mm, 1/4" G4 is .845".
I was also surprised that the chain diameter was 7mm. ( coming from imperial USA)
It's a bit confusing at first to understand the different variations of chain. I am told that links may have the type stamped on the links, e.g. G4 but on 4 different kinds of chain I have laying around, I can't see a G4 anywhere. The reason I had to better understand the specs was that I had to cut ny anchor off a while back after it got hopelessly stuck. I had another line with chain but after installing it, I had nothing but problems with the line and chain jamming. The rope jamming was due to a few things, one being the stiffness of it but it took me a while to figure out what was wrong with the chain. It had 1/4 inch thick links but as I later learned, the inner link length was about an inch nd not the .8 inch . In any case, I have dealt with the jamming but will replace the line and chain next season. There are a few other anchor locker tasks needed first and I have been putting them off.

flstfixtures

Reaction score
Clean install, is there enough vertical fall, does the line get tangled? I have a 228 , getting ready to install mine right now. Thank you

FLWhaler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Ky Grady do you have a pick of the battery set up? where are they?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Ky Grady do you have a pick of the battery set up? where are they?

I run 2 batteries for the boat and 2 for trolling motor, so 4 total in the rear compartments. I ran a dedicated wire from battery 1 all the way to the front with the breaker installed in the middle of the run at the dash.