installing bait tank on Tournament 19

andrew

Reaction score
plan to install a bait tank on my Tournament 19, to use for king/spanish bait off our NC coast. Has anyone else done this type of installation, have any advice/tops/concerns to share? I plan to use an oval-shaped Aquaworld tank (either 23gal or 29gal). Any thoughts on which size is better? I plan to install the tank directly aft of the captain's seat, oriented to preserve walking space forward and aft. I plan to plumb the intake via a transom-mounted baitwell pump (750gph). I plan to plumb the outtake to a new, additional discharge fitting I'll install, directly adjacent to the current bilge discharge fitting (starboard quarter).

Much appreciated any comments, thoughts, etc. I've installed the pump this far; haven't bought the tank yet, nor cut the discharge hole in the hull.

jbeyo

Reaction score
Andrew,
I have a 1986 tournament 19 and have done the same thing you are talking about with the bait well pump off the back. All pvc and put on with marine tex no screws in the transom. It easy, cheap, & will work great. I have had it on for 5 years now. As far as 23 or 29 gal. tank. You will be able to keep a few more baits longer in the big tank. You will probably need to measure and pay attention to the depth of the tank discharge at the bottom of the tank. Don’t want this to be below your discharge going out of the boat. If it’s lower go with the 23 gal. I think you can get the original tanks from grady. I will find out next week when I get into town. I will keep you posted on what they have available and the price.
I have just purchaced an older tournament 24 and will be adding a live well on it soon.
There should be no reason for you to cut an additional discharge hole in your boat.
There is a factory discharge on the port rear side at the back in the battery/oil tank compartment that you can use.
I will post some pics.
Jack

andrew

Reaction score
Hey Jack - thanks for your note. Actually, I just completed the entire installation this week. Looks great, works well. I installed the 29gal Aquaworld Ultra tank. The intake pump is transom-mounted -- I like your marine-tex idea, but I opted to screw it on. I'll have to monitor this regularly, ensure seal is snug. I installed the discharge hose running aft under the starboard rail. I opted to cut a new discharge hole, a large 2". Doing so allows water to exit the tank at around the same rate as the water is bing pumped into the tank.

I'll put the boat in the water this weekend (at an area lake here in Raleigh) to run the tank for a while. I'll be down your way very soon, as the water temps rise. I typically put in at the ICW ramp, right there under the bridge going to Wrightsville. I hear folks are already seeing a hotter trout and drum bite. And, the spanish might arrive by May or so. Gonna be a great season for fishing.