Installing Garmin AP and upgrading to a 4212 Display

wdlfbio

Reaction score
Should be a fun weekend. I sold my Garmin 4208 to my buddy and picked up a 4212. Gonna install that and the Garmin AutoPilot (or most of it) this weekend. I also have a few hundred I need to spend strictly on Garmin goodies, so I thought I'd add a VHF200 (and maybe the extra wired mic) and leave the WestMarine 500 as a back up.

Probably also buy the wireless AP remote. So, Should I put the AP controller in front of my left knee or to the left or right of the 4212?

My WestMarine VHF is in the E-box up top, so I thought about installing the Garmin 200 at the helm. And if I do that, I probably have no good reason to blow money on the second microphone (GHS10)??? Maybe just wire in an external speaker?

That would put a vhf up top, and the 4212, AP and VHF right in front of me. I also have the stereo remote at my left hand.

What do you think would make a good configuration?

bc282

Reaction score
perhaps post a pic of your current setup (console/dash) and add an 'X' or something to mark the location of intended new stuff.

my garmin AP 'keypad/display' sits just left of the helm, ideally i would have redone my gauge cluster on the left side and installed the Garmin display in that area as it would have been more easily viewable without having to tilt my head down to the current position, although the current spot does make it easier to access the buttons/functions.

The AP remote (too big and bulky IMO) is pure luxury, but i love it!

Good luck on the install, it'll be both joy and a PITA!

Regarding the additional VHF remote, i too considered one and if i find one for a good deal may add it, but i have both radios in the overhead elec box.
the main radio mic is pulled down and "tethered" with a simple rope loop to the hand grab bar going into the cuddy. this makes it very accessible as reaching for the mic in bumpy seas overhead is not easy and the "tether" solution seems to be working very well and it's dirt cheap.

wdlfbio

Reaction score
I think I found some good places for the new electronics. i looked through a bunch of sales listings for 282s and saw their configurations. So here's what and why I'm thinking about where things will go.

The 4212 will be towards the starboard side so that the new VHF can be easier for the companion to grab. There are lots of times when folks call on the radio and I don't really want to pull my hands of the wheel or throttles, so a passenger does the talking. The microphone mount will be left around the corner from the VHF. We do quite a bit via MMSI out here when calling our buddy boats into the fish, so I want it within easy access to send and recieve #s. We used to just call out the lat/lon when on great live bait bites, but too many internet fishermen would troll right through the bite, well within 100 yards of us. Often, we could draw in 10+ boats. So, we are a little more cautious about that.

The AP will primarily be used to make the 40-50 mile runs in and out and while trolling for albies. I don't think I'll need to pay too uch attn to it, but I want it easily viewed and controlled. So, at the lower left of the helm, a bit off and above my left knee.
NewHelm.jpg

I'll need to relocate the Yamaha Bus block so the AP display/controller can be flush mounted. I figure I'll just move it from directly behind where I need to mount the AP display to the panel just forward. The photo is looking from the floor up behind the dash.
YamahaBusrelocate.jpg

The AP pump fits great inside the large compartment in the midberth along starboard wall. There's what looks like a glassed 6x8" in there. Plus, black and red leads already sticking out of a wire loom. I haven't traced these yet or tested them out. Anyone know what they probably are?
APPump.jpg

The ECU fits nicely inside, above, and just forward of the new pump. Right under the toilet. Enough out of the way of drips if it were to leak. This area looks quite dry and is well within 19" of the pump.

The CCU is a little different. I looked all through the berth and only two spots seemed good. I hoped to use the bilge in the midberth, but the couple of pumps in there probably are too much magnetism for the CCU. So, looks like in the top aft of storage area under the starboard section of the front berth. Should make for short runs to the ECU too.

Anyone see problems with this setup?

wdlfbio

Reaction score
O yea, and I found this when looking under the sink compartment... If anyone knows someone at Grady who lost one in early 2007 or so, have them pm me :doh
airsander.jpg

LeapFrog

Reaction score
Just a heads up... I am thinking about adding a 4212 also... The GPS and VHF are supposed to be separated by 12 inches... Most likely due to the interference caused when broadcasting on the radio... I don't really have the space to separate them more then about 6 inches... Maybe there is some type of shielding that would decrease this distance?

On a better note, that's where I have my autopilot on my Marlin and it works great. When slow trolling for stripers, folks can help with a "5 right" and they can tweak our course five degrees with a few button pushes... The AP is easy to get to and change if I'm in the back messing with the rods/fish...

wdlfbio

Reaction score
And apparently the vhf should be 20+ inches, maybe 24"? from the compass. I may swap the AP controller and VHF. But I don't like the idea of the microphone wire hanging down by my leg. I get the feeling that someone will catch it sooner or later and rip it out?

bc282

Reaction score
I think i like the locations to where you are planning to install the components.
here's some pics to where i've put some of my stuff which worked out well.
I believe i have to buy an extension (nmea2000) cable for the gyro as it was just a bit short.
i have an Air Cond. unit installed in the starboard side of the aft bunk which may be the only difference.
The pump is mounted on a heavy aluminum "L" bracket i made and screwed into a FG covered 1"x8 to 10" board (which does not look like you may have).
The gyro compass is in the aft bunk under storage; i have a large tote in there and it does NOT bump the gyro in that location as the PVC rigging tubes above the gyro protect it if the tote should slide forward.
AP%20pump%20ECU%20resized.jpg

gyro%20under%20aft%20bunk%20resized.jpg

wdlfbio

Reaction score
Our rigs are a little different. My forward bilge (under the midberth hatch) has a bilge pump at the forward section and I'm worried that will affect the CCU. So, I moved the water lines that run from my hotwater heater (forward berth storage under the anchor rode locker) through the forward starboard storage compartment under the bed, and installing the CCU at the rear of the storage compartment. No metal or electronics/pumps around and it's near center and the waterline. I just need to move my tool bag over to the port storage comppartment now :)