Installing microwave 25 Sailfish

Tommyboy

Reaction score
Looking for ideas/tips on installing a microwave on a 92' Sailfish ... has anyone out there done this? Tips/pic's/advice appreciated ...

Thanx

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Our Islander already had the microwave installed. However, I have installed an A/C in the boat, and I'm pretty familiar with it's systems.

You don't indicate either way, but I assume you already have shorepower installed? If so, you should have one or more unused circuits on the shorepower distribution panel.

I can't help on the model, size or best location for the microwave. Just make sure it is well secured so it doesn't get thrown around. You can put a large piece of foam inside to hold the bottom glass in place when not in use.

But electrically, the best way is for you install a separate circuit from the A/C distribution panel to a wall outlet in close proximity to the location for the microwave. Easier than hard-wiring the microwave.

Brian

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If you want to place it where the newer Sailfish models locate it, you are in for some work.

You need to increase the size top to bottom of the cabinet opening, then break out the back and extend the back by about 2.5 inches. Then build a facia cover, made mine of 1/2 startboard seafoam, which I extended higher to close off the shelf on it is useful, not useful as it was since anything will just roll off at sea.

The 0.5 cu ft model fits, anything taller doesn't. I bought a black one from West several years ago, had a white one with a metal door that rusted before, from coindensation. The black one has a plastic door, no rust.

0.7 models are very common, but too tall.
0.5 is oddball size but works fine.

To enlarge the opening, you trim the top flush to the inner roof, saw out the back from the inner side- I used 1/8 alum to build a cap and sealed it all around so the cabinet is sealed as it was before. Think of the cap as a shoe box cover that fits from the inner side. I split the cover horizontally to get it through the opening up front, then caulked and scewed it into the four faces.

To locate and hold the unit in place from sliding around, I built a base of 1/2in. ply that is wider than the unit, I shaped and bored it to catch the feet, then screwed it in place left and right. Then wedged a piece or two of neoprene along the top on left and right sides, 1/2 way back, with some silicone on it.

Basically, it is a lot of work because the cabinet is too short in height, and not deep enough, plenty wide though.

I have a breaker off the AC panel supplying it via a GFCI, have another next to it from the inverter so I can plug the microwave cord into either outlet. The outlets are on the forward side of the cabinet towards the cabin wall.

Never did any step by step pictures.

If we didn't use the mirco as much as we have over about 8 yrs now, would not have been worth the effort, Would have placed it on the deck in the below berth instead.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
BobP said:
If we didn't use the mirco as much as we have over about 8 yrs now, would not have been worth the effort.

That's why I installed the 1KW inverter! Allows us to easily use the microwave when underway. Popcorn, hot soup, hot dogs... :D

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Brian, I didn't thnk of popcorn and hotdogs on the water! What movie is playing !

More for hot soup and the like on cold days, on the water.

At the dock, we mostly reheat precooked foods from the Igloo cooler, even pizza heats up well, fried chicken, veggies, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob to cook.

I'm getting hungry, gotta go!