Installing new Cr49...

bartoma

Reaction score
Pulled out my nasty old DC-440 yesterday in anticupation of replacing it with a CR49 with AC/DC...

Anyone have suggestions on the gauge wire for power? Run from the breaker box looks like we'll under 10 feet...

Also, what rating for the breaker I'll put in the ACC slot? 10 Amps?

seasick

Reaction score
Are you asking about the AC feed , DC or both?
I assume your old fridge wasn't dual voltage.
In general for that line of fridges, Isotherm recommends a 15 amp breaker on the DC side and number 6 cable for about 20-25 feet run (round trip) The 10 amp probably will work but if it trips now and then, you will need to upgrade.
On the AC side, I would run 14 gauge marine 'romex' type cable. The breaker for the AC can be smaller but 5, 10 or 15 amps will work fine

More specific info is in your installation manual.

bartoma

Reaction score
Yea, specifically asking about shore power, since the old unit was DC only....Was planning on just plugging in the DC to what the DC-440 was using - that said, I'll check the fusing for that side too...

seasick

Reaction score
You can get 2 0r 3 conductor primary cable at marine supply stores. Here is a link to West Marine as an example

If you are using an existing free feed from the AC panel, whatever size wire is used at the panel is the maximum you should use feeding the load ( fridge ) If that ACC position has a 15Abreaker, it probably is wired with 14 gauge. Remember that wire nuts are a no-no on boats:)

Fishtales

Reaction score
I like the heat shrink butt connectors for wet applications. I then use the plastic insulator goop on the ends and finally well tape with black friction followed by black shiny electrical tape. Do it that way and you'll never have an issue.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Your breaker is rated to protect the wire. Typical AC outlet would be 14 gauge wire and a 15 amp breaker.

I don't imagine you would need 12 gauge wire and 20 Amp breaker to run a small refridgerator.

And yes it goes without saying but I'll say it... you must use marine grade triplex stranded wire (properly colored black/white/green) not solid wire NM-B that you get at HD/Lowes
And never use that color wire for DC. Your DC paired wires should be red and yellow (not black) because you have AC circiuts onboard.

bartoma

Reaction score
Thanks all... Yes, I am using the free spot (ACC) on the panel to add a new breaker specifically for the fridge - planning to go by West today, where they have the wire and breaker in stock...

You wouldn't know I am an electrical engineer - lol... I have immense respect for electricians and people who know their way around electricity - that stuff can kill you...

seasick

Reaction score
Thanks all... Yes, I am using the free spot (ACC) on the panel to add a new breaker specifically for the fridge - planning to go by West today, where they have the wire and breaker in stock...

You wouldn't know I am an electrical engineer - lol... I have immense respect for electricians and people who know their way around electricity - that stuff can kill you...
That's pretty funny. I am also an electrical engineer and have known and worked with many electricians over the years on different jobs.. The difference between the two skills is that electricians know how to do things to code and engineers hopefully know why things are done that way.
After Sandy, we had to replace the main service to the boat yard, buildings and docks. I never had worked on such a large sized service and I will never forget the effort it took just to bend the conductors to bolt to the panels. It was like bending pipe. It made we more respectful of the electricians' talents.

bartoma

Reaction score
My dad (RIP) was am aeronautical engineer, whose love affair with airplanes lasted from the age of three to his last moments at age 87... He built models as a youth, and he eventually built and flew his own homebuilt (Sonerai II)... I had immense respect for his intellect and love for aviation... Of course, he lovingly mocked me for not being able to do much more with electricity than change wall sockets... I tried to explain that it was apples and oranges, but to someone who built and flew his own airplane, that argument didn't hold much water... Of course, I did built 10-meter antennas and a QRP rig when I was a kid, and I still know morse code from my youthful ham days...

BTW, I got everything wired up and ready for the fridge today... was actually very easy - the rigging tube was easily accessible, and I had no issues getting the wire routed...

Fishtales

Reaction score
Good to hear things went smooth for you. Gotta savor the good jobs as there will be PIA ones in the future.